What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratatouille and crumble for this lazy Sunday. Cheeky glass of rose’ too.

It’s a member of the mackerel family I believe
That made me curious, as I have eaten mackerel many times over here in the US but never heard of horse mackerel before.

Here is what I found:
Horse mackerel — SoleShare
Biology
image-asset.jpg

Horse mackerel are not real mackerel at all, belonging to a family of fish called carangidae made up of jacks and trevallies. They form large shoals over sandy bottomed ground, often schooling with herring or (actual) mackerel. There are two main stocks of Atlantic horse mackerel. The Northern stock spawns in the North sea and heads back to Northern waters, whereas the Western stock spawns in the Bay of Biscay and heads west as the fish mature.

Not fancy but.....fresh steamed string beans sauteed with sliced garlic and olive oil. Used a bit too much olive oil but sooo good. Grilled Chicken with a spice rub I bought from BJ's with fresh lemon squeezed over them.
1598817611975.png

1598817664283.png

I don't recall who Kristen is. I was never a fan of the show, myself.

CD
I had heard of it but never watched it. The only reason I knew who JR was is because he was Larry Hagman and was in I Dream of Jeanie.

JASOH1 I used Google to translate the original portuguese word, carapaus, into english, and it came up with horse mackerel :happy: Hope this is not a translation faux pas. The photos google showed did seem the same fish though.

No pics, but we had ham and bean soup and cornbread.

Now I'm sitting here listening to the calming sound of my gun-happy neighbor randomly firing off hundreds of rounds of ammo. 😒
I am familiar with redneck fireworks, but it's not the 4th of July or anything, what gives?

Do you make your cornbread sweet? I love ham and bean soup. The weather was fine for it.

I am familiar with redneck fireworks, but it's not the 4th of July or anything, what gives?

Do you make your cornbread sweet? I love ham and bean soup. The weather was fine for it.
It's just a normal Sunday around here. I live in a big "2nd Amendment" county, and some days, it's like living in a war zone, because I'll have people on three sides of me shooting.

I don't like sweet cornbread, MrsTasty does, so I compromise and put in half the amount it normally calls for. :wink:

It's just a normal Sunday around here. I live in a big "2nd Amendment" county, and some days, it's like living in a war zone, because I'll have people on three sides of me shooting.

I don't like sweet cornbread, MrsTasty does, so I compromise and put in half the amount it normally calls for. :wink:
I bought these small cast iron dishes that would work nicely for splitting it in half, so you could have yours non-sweet and load her up with sugar in hers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom