What did you cook or eat today (December 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizza, Margherita and pepperoni. I just did them in the oven at 500 F, didn't feel like messing with the grill.

Today has the day the we celebrate we have nothing to celebrate. Aka it's our quiet day. We have many family and friends' birthdays over the Christmas to New Year period. Tomorrow for example, there are 2 immediate family birthdays, yesterday was my wedding anniversary... so today we try to have a quiet day and as such the end of the Christmas fare and tomorrow back to a more normal diet.

Hubby tried for a double portion of ice cream, claiming we needed to eat all it because the spoon he was using had gone through the side of the container and broken it (it had thoroughly and totally destroyed the tub). But in a moment of strength, (it was exceptionally difficult trust me, it's 30°C outside and quiet warm inside as well) I told him "good try, mate. Put the other half in a freezer tub! ". I must be ill, very very ill.

Last edited:
Our local community organisation has a small shop in the High Street. They often put free bakery items out for anyone that needs them, and sometimes fruit and vegetables. We never take anything as it seems a bit cheeky for people who can afford such things to deprive needy people (though I've noticed it doesn't stop a few vultures who come along and take more bread rolls than they could ever use).

Today, though, we made an exception. They had lots of bags of vegetables and since there was no conceivable possibility that they would get rid of all these, we grabbed a bag of sprouts and a bag of parsnips. Both had "best before 27th" on them, but that's only yesterday. Given the chilliness of the day, making a vegetable chilli seemed apt. And a good bit of it for free.

Our local community organisation has a small shop in the High Street. They often put free bakery items out for anyone that needs them, and sometimes fruit and vegetables. We never take anything as it seems a bit cheeky for people who can afford such things to deprive needy people (though I've noticed it doesn't stop a few vultures who come along and take more bread rolls than they could ever use).

Today, though, we made an exception. They had lots of bags of vegetables and since there was no conceivable possibility that they would get rid of all these, we grabbed a bag of sprouts and a bag of parsnips. Both had "best before 27th" on them, but that's only yesterday. Given the chilliness of the day, making a vegetable chilli seemed apt. And a good bit of it for free.

I knew a guy like that. He gets more than enough in disability (almost three times as much as most people due to his working years). He literally goes to the food pantry, soup kitchens and local churches to get handouts. He will ONLY purchase two food items every month - baloney and bread, no condiments, nothing but that. The kicker is he is almost always broke because he spends ALL his disposable income on pot. I tried to help him out by holding his money so he would have it throughout the month but he blew up at me when I refused (which is the sole reason he asked me to hold it) and I ended up giving it all to him right then and there. I don't have trouble managing money and I'm not going to be verbally abused by trying to help someone (who asked for my help, no less) who can't control his. I have never understood the "burning a hole in your pocket" mentality. I would be afraid to be completely broke several weeks a month.

To stay on topic, I hope your chili turned out well. There is nothing better than a hot bowl of chili on a cold day.

MC,

I truly envy you for your location near The Great Barrier Reef where you get all these Lobsters. I love Lobster.

Your photos have some fantastic color too.
Hi mate, this lobster is actually a supermarket purchase.. and is from Western Australia. Most of them in the past have been exported to China, but there's politics going on (which I don't want to talk about here) with our exports being suddenly banned. The result is good for every day consumers like me though, as currently there's a glut of lobster on the local market making them relatively inexpensive.

Hi mate, this lobster is actually a supermarket purchase.. and is from Western Australia. Most of them in the past have been exported to China, but there's politics going on (which I don't want to talk about here) with our exports being suddenly banned. The result is good for every day consumers like me though, as currently there's a glut of lobster on the local market making them relatively inexpensive.

Our markets to China are also down, however places still charging high prices. Daughter and partner passed through kaikoura on their way to Blenheim, they bought one smaller than yours for $60. I told her she was crazy, I have them in my freezer.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom