What did you cook or eat today (December 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our markets to China are also down, however places still charging high prices. Daughter and partner passed through kaikoura on their way to Blenheim, they bought one smaller than yours for $60. I told her she was crazy, I have them in my freezer.

Russ
The one pictured was $20 oz, so about $15 US.

The one pictured was $20 oz, so about $15 US.

I think the last time I checked, we get Spiny Lobsters from Peru, not from the Carribean/Florida Keys.

Our big Crustacean treat off the west coast of the US is Dungeness Crab and from Alaskan Waters, King Crab and Snow Crab. Our New England states produce the so called Maine or Atlantic Lobsters.

All of this is of course at premium pricing.

I think the last time I checked, we get Spiny Lobsters from Peru, not from the Carribean/Florida Keys.

Our big Crustacean treat off the west coast of the US is Dungeness Crab and from Alaskan Waters, King Crab and Snow Crab. Our New England states produce the so called Maine or Atlantic Lobsters.

All of this is of course at premium pricing.

I like spiny lobsters better -- more tail meat. Dungeness crab is indeed a California treat.

CD

Meatloaf, mashies and country green beans. Craig asked for seconds, first time in a very long time.

I was somewhat "tired" when I got back from the pub today so it was just a plain beefburger (with grass). Pretty bland and I didn't take a picture.

I cooked stuffed (bacon, celery, onion, herbs, citrus fruit and spices) goose yesterday; we'll eat it today with rice and gravy. This was my first try cooking goose. I definitely overcooked the poor bird although I wasn't aiming at medium rare/pink (which should be ok for goose meat). The skin was torn in pieces despite criss-cross cuts and the legs and wings were bare to the bone - hence, no pic of the whole cooked goose :D. I detached the legs and breast fillets with a filleting knife, carved the remains on a plate and cooled the meat and liquids on the balcony (+1°C). There was some 1 kg of wonderful goose fat on top this morning but I discarded it as there is no use for it (we don't e.g. cook potatoes in fat). I made plain flour-thickened gravy of the remaining, jellified cooking liquid (fat removed) and seasoned it with crème fraîche, green pepper and cranberry jelly. I'll cook basmati rice and make feta-strawberry salad on the side.
cin_a.png

Cinnamon rolls for dessert. The dough is currently rising.
cin_1.jpg

I cooked stuffed (bacon, celery, onion, herbs, citrus fruit and spices) goose yesterday; we'll eat it today with rice and gravy. This was my first try cooking goose. I definitely overcooked the poor bird although I wasn't aiming at medium rare/pink (which should be ok for goose meat). The skin was torn in pieces despite criss-cross cuts and the legs and wings were bare to the bone - hence, no pic of the whole cooked goose :D. I detached the legs and breast fillets with a filleting knife, carved the remains on a plate and cooled the meat and liquids on the balcony (+1°C). There was some 1 kg of wonderful goose fat on top this morning but I discarded it as there is no use for it (we don't e.g. cook potatoes in fat). I made plain flour-thickened gravy of the remaining, jellified cooking liquid (fat removed) and seasoned it with crème fraîche, green pepper and cranberry jelly. I'll cook basmati rice and make feta-strawberry salad on the side.
View attachment 53733
Cinnamon rolls for dessert. The dough is currently rising.
View attachment 53734

I confess I've never cooked goose. I'm even wondering if I've ever eaten goose. Maybe I have, in France a long time ago. It does sound as if you overcooked it. Did it taste good though?

I'm slightly alarmed that you threw out the goose fat. We pay good money for that in the UK! You don't do roast potatoes in goose fat?

There was some 1 kg of wonderful goose fat on top this morning but I discarded it as there is no use for it (we don't e.g. cook potatoes in fat).

Like some others, I'm surprised at this. I have never cooked goose so haven't had to decide to keep the fat or not, but, my mother has a crock full of it. It's right there on her stove top. My hubby (now ex) and I used to joke about it but we had no idea what she used it for.

I have cooked geese frequently. I got into the habit as a child when my Mum reared them for the pot and to swap. This is the only stuffing I have tried that works for me. Chopped onions, apples, potatoes (double the amount of the first two) lemon thyme. The zest and juice of an orange and lemon.

I confess I've never cooked goose. I'm even wondering if I've ever eaten goose. Maybe I have, in France a long time ago. It does sound as if you overcooked it. Did it taste good though?

I'm slightly alarmed that you threw out the goose fat. We pay good money for that in the UK! You don't do roast potatoes in goose fat?

I have only had goose once. It was wild (I shot it), so it was lean and a bit gamey. It was a bit dry, probably because of how lean it was. I've shot a lot of ducks, and they are not like the farm-raised ducks you get at the store/butcher. Nowhere near the amount of fat in a bird that has flown a couple thousand miles for the winter.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom