What did you cook or eat today (December 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ohmy:

I don't understand the US obsession with mayonnaise. Its gradually crept over here too but not quite so much. Its very calorific and not something that should be used liberally or every day, really. I used to like it occasionally especially in dishes like egg mayonnaise. I suppose what I don't understand is its ubiquitous use as a condiment. Its an emulsified sauce and deserves to be used judicially. Home-made is definitely the best - there is no comparison. Unfortunately I've become intolerant to it and it causes me mild stomach issues. But this is not colouring my view. I used to really like it sometimes.
I thought the French loved to dip their fries in it? So it's not just in the US...

I like mayo and mustard mixed together. I love deviled eggs with mayo and mustard together, and potato salad with mayo and mustard mixed together, and so on, and so forth...I don't much like mayo by itself. It needs something tart and vinegary to offset the flavor. IMO.

I don't understand the US obsession with mayonnaise. Its gradually crept over here too but not quite so much. Its very calorific and not something that should be used liberally or every day, really. I used to like it occasionally especially in dishes like egg mayonnaise. I suppose what I don't understand is its ubiquitous use as a condiment. Its an emulsified sauce and deserves to be used judicially. Home-made is definitely the best - there is no comparison. Unfortunately I've become intolerant to it and it causes me mild stomach issues. But this is not colouring my view. I used to really like it sometimes.
Try ordering french fries from a vender in Belgium, it's all white and you have to dig and dig to eventually find any fries. :laugh:

Try ordering french fries from a vender in Belgium, it's all white and you have to dig and dig to eventually find any fries. :laugh:
That's kind of like eating poutine, you have to dig and dig to find the fries...I need crispy fries, please.

I thought the French loved to dip their fries in it? So it's not just in the US...

I like mayo and mustard mixed together. I love deviled eggs with mayo and mustard together, and potato salad with mayo and mustard mixed together, and so on, and so forth...I don't much like mayo by itself. It needs something tart and vinegary to offset the flavor. IMO.
One of the reasons I make it myself is, that it's not acidic enough and I use more vinegar than what you'd find processed.

One of the reasons I make it myself is, that it's not acidic enough and I use more vinegar than what you'd find processed.
No it makes perfect sense, but I would be the only one eating it and I don't eat it everyday (or even weekly) so it would spoil before I got a chance to do so. Hubby likes mayo but it has to be out of a jar, no way would he eat it if I made it with raw egg, even if I swore on my mother's grave that it was safe.

Best Foods mayo and Hellman's mayo are the same product. They are the same company. They sell under different brand names in different areas of the country.

CD
They are on the same shelf at some grocery stores in many states, including Ohio. I used to work for BF supplier, AWG (Allied Wholesale Grocer) as a merchandiser.

There are very few things that I use mayonnaise for, but I use a lot of it. I use it for tuna salad, egg salad and potato salad. I never use it as a salad dressing and I never use it on sandwiches, except maybe, for a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich).

They are on the same shelf at some grocery stores in many states, including Ohio. I used to work for BF supplier, AWG (Allied Wholesale Grocer) as a merchandiser.
Yup. I haven't seen it at Kroger, but I can get it at IGA, and I think I've seen it at Walmart.

Yup. I haven't seen it at Kroger, but I can get it at IGA, and I think I've seen it at Walmart.
It's not the only product that has a generic label that is made by a national brand. There are other stores that are supplied from different distributors that have Food Club or are store-branded but in reality are made by big national brand companies. Kroger brands (Kroger, Private Selection, Simple Truth, etc.) are made by national companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom