What did you cook or eat today (December 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a light lunch today. Caesar, meats and cheese.

20221226_130429.jpg

Sarma, the sauerkraut and meat rolls, that I traditionally cook around Christmas every year.
It is cooked for 3 hours. It turned out lovely.

Fritule, a traditional coastal donut like (Krapfen like) sweet, that my daughter made.
And a simple sponge cake, that she baked, and she later covered in chocolate and grated coconut, and we gifted to my parents.

20221225_190250.jpg
20221224_144713.jpg
20221225_121259.jpg

No photos of our Christmas lunch. I managed to virtually cremate the turkey. The instructions said 2 and a half hours at 180 C. I checked it at 1 and a half hours and it was all burnt on top and the legs had given way and dried up. It was edible in parts but not a pretty sight. The stuffing also got burnt. Oh, and I managed to make lumpy gravy from Bisto granules - and I mean really lumpy! I also forgot to put the sprouts on in time so they were served 'mid meal'. My son and daughter were quite polite really, under the circumstances! :)

No photos of our Christmas lunch. I managed to virtually cremate the turkey. The instructions said 2 and a half hours at 180 C. I checked it at 1 and a half hours and it was all burnt on top and the legs had given way and dried up. It was edible in parts but not a pretty sight. The stuffing also got burnt. Oh, and I managed to make lumpy gravy from Bisto granules - and I mean really lumpy! I also forgot to put the sprouts on in time so they were served 'mid meal'. My son and daughter were quite polite really, under the circumstances! :)

Spatchcock the turkey and dry brine it, then roast it sitting on top of the stuffing/dressing. I did that at Thanksgiving after a dry brine and that will be my go to from now on. I overcooked it just a bit because i forgot to reset the timer from when i first checked temp, but it was still moist and juicy, even the white meat. Use the neck and backbone cooked in good commercial stock to make rich stock for gravy.

I've been cooking roasted chicken spatchcocked because it cooks faster and stays moister that way, plus if you use dressing as a "rack" it effectively becomes stuffing. If you don't want stuffing, make a rack with root veges and some stock and then they get benefits of drippings, plus you'll have drippings for gravy or jus.

Serious Eats has articles on both spatchcocked chickens and turkeys about benefits of cooking them that way and how to's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom