What did you cook or eat today (December 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig finally made green chili stew/posole. His had potatoes. Mine had the hominy, making it posole.

If you guys have Hulu, there is an awesome food history documentary that people on here would probably enjoy. It's called "the food that built America" I love documentaries.

Curious. Very curious! Your Warrigal greens are exactly the same as what´s known as "Spinach" in Venezuela. The leaves grow on a longish, thick stalk , and are (a) much smaller and (b) much thicker than European spinach.
Warrigal Greens are considered native to Chile & Argentina as well as Japan, Australia and New Zealand. What you describe sounds exactly like the stuff I grow. Other countries regard it as introduced and some as an invasive species.

This is a wiki article

It is a widespread species, native to eastern Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. It has been introduced and is an invasive species in many parts of Africa, Europe, North America, and South America.[3] Its natural habitat is sandy shorelines and bluffs, often in disturbed areas.[4] It is a halophyte and grows well in saline ground.

Following link ref 3 above gives this

Overview​

Tetrogonia tetragonioides is a leafy herb native to the Far East, parts of Australia, New Zealand and some Pacific Islands. It has been introduced to Africa, the Americas, Europe and parts of Asia. New Zealand spinach is a member of the family Tetrogoniaceae, and is not true spinach. Of the Latin binomials used Tetragonia tetragonioides is currently accepted and Tetragonia expansa is the most frequent synonym in the literature. The leaves resemble spinach leaves and are often used in cooking in the same way. The plants are well branched and will spread up to around 1.2 m and to a height of 0.6 m. The leaves are thicker than spinach, smaller, darker green, and somewhat triangular in shape. The stems are larger, more fleshy, and firm. The stem tips with leaves are harvested several times during the growing season. The plant is sensitive to frost but will perform well in hot weather, making it an excellent substitute for spinach. The plant is a perennial but is usually replanted after 2-3 years.

Is that reindeer, or just a basic white-tail dear? We don't have reindeer in the continental US (I think there are some in Alaska).

CD
Reindeer are only available in Scandinavia, or at a very high premium elsewhere in Europe. It's just domesticated white tail deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom