What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are probably as many omelette styles as people cooking omelettes. One of my favorite Pepin moments is when he makes three omelette styles (French rolled, French country, and Spanish).

The omelette style I make the most is the single fold, and I usually keep my ingredients to a minimum - cheese, tomato, and some chives mixed in with the egg and I'm happy.

The one I like to eat the most is the two-fold, so it ends up more like a burrito, and those can hold a lot of ingredients.

Something else that comes to mind - I've eaten omelettes in restaurants in Europe, and what's advertised as an omelette will frequently be nothing but the egg, maybe some herbs in the egg, maybe a little garnish of onion or mushroom on top.

Here, at least anywhere I've ever been in the US, an omelette isn't an omelette until it has something in it, for the egg to wrap around, and it's many times more about the filling than it is the egg.

There are probably as many omelette styles as people cooking omelettes. One of my favorite Pepin moments is when he makes three omelette styles (French rolled, French country, and Spanish).

The omelette style I make the most is the single fold, and I usually keep my ingredients to a minimum - cheese, tomato, and some chives mixed in with the egg and I'm happy.

The one I like to eat the most is the two-fold, so it ends up more like a burrito, and those can hold a lot of ingredients.

Something else that comes to mind - I've eaten omelettes in restaurants in Europe, and what's advertised as an omelette will frequently be nothing but the egg, maybe some herbs in the egg, maybe a little garnish of onion or mushroom on top.

Here, at least anywhere I've ever been in the US, an omelette isn't an omelette until it has something in it, for the egg to wrap around, and it's many times more about the filling than it is the egg.
Well the mericans took the french omelet and made it better, bigger faster......it's the merican way. :woot:

Crackling crunchy melting tender pork belly & salad plus a cocktail “Frisky Whiskey”.

I have never cooked such a small thin piece of belly, it was only 700gm so I was a little nervous - cooked for an hour on low/moderate then high for 20. I had it sitting on a bed of onions tossed with white wine, oil, salt, pepper & fennel seeds & made a little foil tin to keep the moisture in there but leaving the skin fully exposed.

Crackling crunchy melting tender pork belly & salad plus a cocktail “Frisky Whiskey”.

View attachment 79227

I have never cooked such a small thin piece of belly, it was only 700gm so I was a little nervous - cooked for an hour on low/moderate then high for 20. I had it sitting on a bed of onions tossed with white wine, oil, salt, pepper & fennel seeds & made a little foil tin to keep the moisture in there but leaving the skin fully exposed.
Was the meat tender?
It looks amazing!

Well the mericans took the french omelet and made it better, bigger faster......it's the merican way.
That´s entirely a matter of opinion. An omelette and a soufflé are French dishes.
Better? It depends on what you like.
Bigger? so what? More appetite.
Faster? hey, I can make an omelette in 2 minutes, and I´m not even a Chef!:D:D

Last edited:

The omelets I make at home are kind of a hybrid. I like the fluffiness and richness of a French omelet, with some stuff mixed in like an American omelet. I don't like the outside of the omelet browned. I generally do a single fold, because I'm generally cooking the omelet for myself, and like to keep things easy when it's just for me. My only "rule" is that my omelet has to be cooked in a generous amount of butter.

To be totally honest, I prefer to just make scrambled eggs. They are easier to cook "just right," and taste the same.

CD

The omelets I make at home are kind of a hybrid. I like the fluffiness and richness of a French omelet, with some stuff mixed in like an American omelet. I don't like the outside of the omelet browned. I generally do a single fold, because I'm generally cooking the omelet for myself, and like to keep things easy when it's just for me. My only "rule" is that my omelet has to be cooked in a generous amount of butter.

To be totally honest, I prefer to just make scrambled eggs. They are easier to cook "just right," and taste the same.

CD
Agreed. I can't STAND browned eggs, ugh! That's why hubby isn't allowed to cook eggs for me. He made them for himself the other day when I was sick and I hated scrubbing the pan in the sink later. I didn't even see what his scrambled eggs looked like when he ate them, though I had the glory of cleaning the dishes after. It's okay, he ate it, he liked it, ugh. Did I say ugh too many times? One more time...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom