What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duck confit, orange sauce, baby broccoli:

A1B87DD6-9366-40D0-A189-D10AAC1D627C.jpeg

Evening meal for the last few nights has been the Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage soup i made earlier in the week (Monday? ) before i started to feel ill.

It's a cold soup, ideal for hot summer days, not that it's currently that hot. I made a double batch because hubby had purchased 1½ heads of red cabbage, 2kg of apples instead of 2 apples and we had enough of everything else to made a double quantity.

We've frozen most of it, but for the last 2 night's have eaten it with a (high protein) veggie burger on it.

I suspect we'll have the same again tonight for simplicity and by tomorrow will gleefully know the results of the PCR tests so if negative, hubby can go shopping. We usually shop on a Thursday so are out of fresh fruit and fresh veg. I've got a few peas and beans growing the the garden but that's likely not even a portion because rather a lot of the plants didn't survive the hailstorm on Boxing Day. The potatoes will be too small to bother harvesting and whilst I've loads of garlic strung up drying, and plenty of almonds or cashews to make a pesto, I've not got enough basil or sorrel, or rocket to make it.

If one or other is positive, we'll have to contact the NSW health support for covid positive patients to work out how to get supplies because we can't get supermarket deliveries in our area and hubby's boss who we would usually bail to for help is actually in the UK with his partner who has contracted covid... So we're on our own on that front, though our landlady would probably help out if necessary.

Today's meal was an old favorite, - Ducket's Bucket, a seafiood soup which includes Manila clams, New Zealand green lipped mussels, garlic chips, scallions, butter, olive oil, lemon juice, white wine and basil.

Last edited:
Not so true in the UK - which is why I feel lucky to live here. We are very eclectic. There are only a few things I can't get (mostly fresh ingredients which are particular to a region of America or other non European countries), such as tomatillos.

But, don't you do your shopping online? I can find virtually any food from anywhere, online. The local grocery store is a different story. They stock what sells (before the sell by date).

CD

Last edited:
i smoked another Fatty (breakfast sausage chub/roll) today. I had plenty of room on the smoker, so I smoked some Nathan's hot dogs, too. The Fatty will be used for breakfast sliders, and the dogs for lunches --- although I had a couple dogs tonight.

CD

Cheese rolls for lunch today, we are going to smoke rolleston restaurant tonight. caseydog you might like to comment on their menu. Brisket is supposed to be good. Son shouted us $100 voucher we havnt used from last year. Buttermilk chicken and brisket for me. Miss 12 is coming with us, shes here for a few days. I'm in the bedroom downstairs for a while.

Russ

Cheese rolls for lunch today, we are going to smoke rolleston restaurant tonight. caseydog you might like to comment on their menu. Brisket is supposed to be good. Son shouted us $100 voucher we havnt used from last year. Buttermilk chicken and brisket for me. Miss 12 is coming with us, shes here for a few days. I'm in the bedroom downstairs for a while.

Russ

Is the restaurant named "Smoke?"

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom