What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
caseydog authentic Mexican ingredients are almost impossible to find here because most Dutch people don't try much that they don't know when it comes to food. My chipotle comes from a British American expat shop. But they do not sell pinto beans.

Hey, it's that way all over the world. Mexican ingredients are abundant in Texas, but I have to search for ingredients from some countries, and often just have to substitute.

Black beans are rather trendy these days, and make a very good, and authentic substitute for pintos in Mexican food. Can you get those?

CD

Last edited:
Spiced roasted potato wedges with a beef sausage & green beans

Hey, it's that way all over the world. Mexican ingredients are abundant in Texas, but I have to search for ingredients from some countries, and often just have to substitute.

Black beans are rather trendy these days, and make a very good, and authentic substitute for pintos in Mexican food. Can you get those?

CD
Never seen them in a regular store, I will check the expat one.

Kidney beans, white beans, brown beans & lentils are the common variaties here.

A cooking frenzy yesterday, since the kids are back at work and need to take lunch.
I was going to make a Mexican "Pollo Borracho" (drunken chicken) with half a bottle of not-very-good white wine left over from the New Year, but my wife took the chicken and made "Arroz con Pollo" (Chicken with rice and veggies). That left the wine for another day, but there was no rice left.
So more rice - 2 cups. Then a basic tomato sauce for pastas - and which I also used for the Manicotti stuffed with ricotta and spinach, topped with parmesan and panko crumbs.
Then I made a Chile con Carne, and since I prefer potatoes to rice, also cooked 2 lbs of those lovely red spuds you find in the supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom