What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

Chicken and Cheese Puffs, The New Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook.
Have cooked this before but added a small amount of chicken gravy this time as previously I found these a bit dry.

Main ingredients, puff pastry, cooked chicken, onion, red pepper, green pepper, parsley, mushrooms, cheese and optional gravy.
What worked, nice and tasty, useful way to use up leftover chicken and by varying the veg, any leftover veggies. Relatively simple to prepare, minimal prep, only watchpoint is to make sure that you leave enough time for the filling to cool down after pre cooking before filling the puffs.

What didn't work. Main issue was that the amount specified for the filling was way too much. Half a red and green pepper would suffice, and maybe cut down slightly on the onion. Also adding the gravy as I did, although it doesn't make the bases of the puffs soggy, they're not as crisp as the rest.

DSC_0126.jpg

Last edited:
Chicken and Cheese Puffs, The New Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook.
Have cooked this before but added a small amount of chicken gravy this time as previously I found these a bit dry.

Main ingredients, puff pastry, cooked chicken, onion, red pepper, green pepper, parsley, mushrooms, cheese and optional gravy.
What worked, nice and tasty, useful way to use up leftover chicken and by varying the veg, any leftover veggies. Relatively simple to prepare, minimal prep, only watchpoint is to make sure that you leave enough time for the filling to cool down after pre cooking before filling the puffs.

What didn't work. Main issue was that the amount specified for the filling was way too much. Half a red and green pepper would suffice, and maybe cut down slightly on the onion. Also adding the gravy as I did although it doesn't make the bases of the puffs soggy, they're not as crisp as the rest.

View attachment 29681

I love the way you analyse the pros and cons of recipes.

Last edited:
I love the way you analyse the pros and cons of recipes.

It's just an expanded version of my annotations on my recipe books. It's why I added the smidgeon of gravy, as I'd noted that previously. Annoyingly when I found that there was far too much filling I remembered that this happened last time, but I omitted to note it down.

Pork tacos, green rice and refried black beans. Pork was roasted in a mixture of orange juice, achiote paste, garlic, cilantro and a serrano, then shredded. Used up the homemade corn tortillas.
2019-07-17 12.19.39.jpg

Last edited:
CC9EEF90-9708-4373-8CBB-13B1A0A6D6BF.jpeg
7A7485E0-E224-4EAF-952F-39612A4A9C40.jpeg

This is the second half of yesterday's dough. Plain cheese, and I hand-shaped and tossed this one. Yesterday's was rolled.

I should have left it in a minute longer, the crust is a little pale, but the last two, I overbaked.

For those familiar, it tastes *exactly* like mall pizza (Sbarro's, etc).

View attachment 29702 View attachment 29703

This is the second half of yesterday's dough. Plain cheese, and I hand-shaped and tossed this one. Yesterday's was rolled.

I should have left it in a minute longer, the crust is a little pale, but the last two, I overbaked.

For those familiar, it tastes *exactly* like mall pizza (Sbarro's, etc).

That dough looks very good - nice air pockets. How long are you cooking it and at what temperature?

^^^ Thanks. I heat my oven and pizza stone at 525F for an hour, and then the pizza goes in for about nine minutes.

Back
Top Bottom