What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

I have been known to eat Froot Loops and Rice Crispies from time to time.

Lol, it's a holiday time in summer, I call it a Nelson brekky, when in Nelson, I normally have corned flakes with mixed fruit in a can, full cream and sugar, with marmalade on toast. And a cup of earl grey. This is only over s period of 12 to 14 days.

Russ

Hubby came home with a shop bought fresh pasta sauce at the weekend shop it was time to use it today because we're between soups.

So home-made pasta (he didn't actually buy any), shop bought fresh tomato pasta sauce with home-made caramelized red onions and tofu topped off with sticky balsamic sauce/vinegar.
20190730_180432.jpg
20190730_183621.jpg

Hubby came home with a shop bought fresh pasta sauce at the weekend shop it was time to use it today because we're between soups.

So home-made pasta (he didn't actually buy any), shop bought fresh tomato pasta sauce with home-made caramelized red onions and tofu topped off with sticky balsamic sauce/vinegar.
View attachment 30098
View attachment 30099

That is very neatly cut pasta and it doesn't look as of you used a pasta machine...

Lovely indeed. I call those Hasselback potatoes and I'd completely forgotten all about them. I haven't made any in ages. Yours look perfect.

I also haven't roasted hasslebacks in a long time. I must rectify that.

I use garlic, paprika and chilli powder for mine and the latter gives them a bit of a kick.

hasslebacks.jpg

That is very neatly cut pasta and it doesn't look as of you used a pasta machine...
Thank you
Rolled and cut by hand (well rolling pin and chopping knife). I don't have a pasta machine. It's only the third time (2nd maybe) that I've ever made pasta. The first time was 2 years ago maybe when you ran the ravioli cookalong.

3rd time trying to post this, not sure what went wrong!

Tomato, Bacon and Egg Pies, Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. Approx 280 calories per pie.

First time cooking this, but not the last, or at least a variation.

Main ingredients, shortcrust pastry, tomatoes, bacon, egg, cheese, evaporated milk, mustard powder.

What worked, very tasty, no faff, just cut up bacon, grate cheese, skin and chop tomatoes and beat eggs. Use shop bought pastry to save time. So maybe an hour from start of prep to sliding into oven.

What didn't work, not much to complain about. Varying the seasoning, herbs etc could lift this dish. As this is an old recipe book oven temps are given for non fan ovens only. 180° 30 minutes was suggested so I dropped temp to 170\160°. Personally, although they were adequately cooked, I felt that another 5 to 10 minutes would have been bettererer. I can set one of the ovens to non fan but I prefer fan as I think you get a more even heat which leads to a better bake.

DSC_0130-01.jpg
DSC_0130-1.jpg

I sense a potential tweaked Recipe Challenge entry from you @Yorky.

I have previously considered "cooking" the garlic (pureed), paprika, chilli powder in olive oil possibly with roasted whole cumin seeds. I have some smaller potatoes at the moment so I may give that a go.

Tesco potatoes july s.jpg

Breakfast: Ate an omelet with home grown eggs, farmer market green onion and ground lamb, plus supermarket mozzarella and fontina cheeses.

Lunch is planned to be: Monkfish & shrimp & peas with a Thai-inspired sauce.

Dinner will be light: Will be eating at the local community center, and if it doesn't appeal, there's always the salad bar.

Back
Top Bottom