What did you cook or eat today (November 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's meal was a pair of cold turkey and cheddar bagel sandwiches with strawberries.

full.jpg

Trimmed and cubed chicken today for "hot butter chicken". I substituted Kasmiri red chilli powder for the usual dried red chillis in the marinade. It will stay in the fridge now until tomorrow.

The marinade is yoghurt, lime juice, Kashmiri chilli powder and ground green cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick and black peppercorns.

Last edited:
You’re making it worse! Yorky I really want that but just seared on the bbq, I’m afraid I’ll never get a tandoor.

However, here’s tonights effort

Pork Scotch Fillet steaks. I cut the fat & rind off and baked it on top of a mix of onions, fennel, orange & black orange. I pan seared the meat. While it rested I added the roasted veg into the pan.

Little green side salad with radish.
And yes I managed cracklings. Hooray.

You're eating those chillies just like that? Or is this decor?

There were chillis already in the burger (see #169). Those were supplementary in case the ones in the burger were insufficient. They were not needed.

I've eaten raw chiles before. In fact, I recently had a salad that had raw jalapenos in it, just julienne cut up.

When I first came to Asia I would bite the end off a chilli prior to purchase (after asking permission) to assess it's "hotness".

I stopped doing that.

a) I almost choked on a very spicy one up in Genting Highlands in Malaysia.

b) The heat differences in only one batch can be significant so there was no point.

I would burn wrapped into flames only thinking of doing that

When I was a kid, it was a dare game to eat raw jalapeno peppers. But many people do it straight up. I met a native American man who was seated in a cafeteria eating raw jalapenos which he took out of his coat pocket. To have jalapenos with you daily in your coat pocket for snacks is marvelous!

But truly, you really have to appreciate chile peppers to eat them raw. I personally, like hot peppers, habaneros, jalapenos and Serranos, mostly.

My recent experience toasting chiles de arbol was a bit much of an experience. That really impacted my brochial area, breathing in the vapors given off. But I think, eating those same peppers raw would be OK by me. I look forward to using the Mexican chile oil macha salsa after it has aged, next month.

I would burn wrapped into flames only thinking of doing that
I ate raw naga chilli ( ghost pepper) sambal once.. worst culinary experience ever. Pure torment!

All because I was an arrogant Indo ( Dutch Indonesian) who thought nothing could be too hot 🤣 learned my lesson..

Last night, sweet and sour pork casserole from this book.

Lean pork, flour, ground ginger, seasoning, onion, green pepper, stock, pineapple chunks, soy, vinegar, no soak dried apricots.

Was very good but not particularly sweet and soury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom