What did you cook or eat today (September 2019)?

We love raclette. During the winter months, we alternate fondue night with raclette night.

We boil some little potatoes, get some gherkins and olives, some pumpernickel bread, and then we cut of slices of raclette, plate it, and put the plate in a warmed oven for a few minutes.

It comes out all gooey and nice, perfect for our dippers.

You lot are all spoilt with access to so many different cheeses.

I'll just go and eat my normal Friday night noodles (no cheese).
Jacques Pepin said once that the biggest change he noticed here since arriving in the US in the 1950's was the range of cheeses available.

I can attest that even in the somewhat-backwaters where I live, most of the cheeses, and good ones, not just some half-assed knockoffs, are no more than 45 minutes drive away.

I would love to take pictures inside Jungle Jim's international market, but they have a strict no-photos rule, and they enforce it, but they've got a wonderful cheese department, just case after case after case of cheeses from all over the country and the world.

The gourmet market where I go, their specialty cheese department is small but well stocked, and they employ a properly trained cheesemonger whom I've never been able to stump.

Even the larger Kroger stores now have a specialty cheese department with a decent selection. Their cheese person, though, not all that with it. I suspect they've received very little training beyond "My First Big Book Of Cheese." :laugh:

The gourmet market where I go, their specialty cheese department is small but well stocked, and they employ a properly trained cheesemonger whom I've never been able to stump.

Ask about myzithra/mizithra. I had the hardest time finding that cheese.

If you like bleu cheese, see if they have Papillon black label. Comes in a black wrapper with a blue butterfly on it. Craig brought home some from France on 1 of his work trips and we were spoiled for other bleus after that. We finally found some a few years ago here.

Ask about myzithra/mizithra. I had the hardest time finding that cheese.
Yep, believe it or not, that was one I got from Kroger's in-store cheese shop.

Did. Not. Like it! Tasted like bitter drywall, and I remember it being fairly expensive for the small bit I bought.

D4E831B5-1E2B-40F3-8EEA-8F576F31C7FB.jpeg

Cuban sandwich made from leftover rib meat from the weekend get-together, with Swiss cheese, ham, mustard, and homemade dill pickles, then pressed in a panini maker with a bit of bacon grease on each side. I could eat this every day. Served with the spicy mushroom soup I entered in the cumin ingredient challenge.

Yep, believe it or not, that was one I got from Kroger's in-store cheese shop.

Did. Not. Like it! Tasted like bitter drywall, and I remember it being fairly expensive for the small bit I bought.

Really? The ones we've gotten have a similar but slightly sharper taste than ricotta salata. And, yes, it is expensive. We like to use it in moussaka though and since that's an expensive dish already with the lamb might as well go for it.

BTW, I have a friend who will sit and eat it by itself. She absolutely loves it.

Really? The ones we've gotten have a similar but slightly sharper taste than ricotta salata. And, yes, it is expensive. We like to use it in moussaka though and since that's an expensive dish already with the lamb might as well go for it.

BTW, I have a friend who will sit and eat it by itself. She absolutely loves it.
Yeah, I remember it being extremely dry and crumbly, almost powdery in texture. Just terrible. I threw it out.

A quick visit to Edinburgh took us to the excellent Mediterranean supermarket in the west of the city. There is usually something interesting and we got some Amari cheese, a soft white cheese from Cyprus. It is a little like ricotta and though a touch on the mild side for my liking, pleasant enough.

A very large jar of black olives will also come in handy.

Big lunch, pizza at our fave place. They only have 2 sizes and the large is a good bit bigger than the small and only $4 more so we always get the large to have leftovers. Meatball for Craig, Margherita for me. Craig had some of the rest of his and I may have another piece in a bit. Got some New York style cheesecake for something sweet tonight.

Back
Top Bottom