What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoked eggplant? Beautiful! Is a recipe coming up for this?
Love eggplant. My Grandma used it a lot.
Just posted the recipe and the video:
Recipe & Video - Hunkar Begendi Recipe - Turkish Lamb Stew with Smoked Eggplant Bechamel
View: https://youtu.be/Eda-SMcoEnc

Story of the dish:
In 19th century, when Sultan Abdulaziz of Ottoman Empire visited France, he, in return, invited Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugénie of France to Istanbul. The empress also brought her chef cook with her while visiting Istanbul.
In Istanbul, the Sultan ordered his best chefs to create a special dish. The French cook started cooking with the Turkish cooks in the palace kitchen and as he was preparing the béchamel sauce, the Turkish cook was roasting some eggplants. He was also very interested in the sauce the French cook was preparing and came up with the idea that if the two were mixed, it would be a great combination. This new recipe was now the Sultan's favorite. The dish was thus named as ‘Hünkar beğendi’ (‘the Sultan liked it’) and served to the Empress.
Made with bechamel mixed with smoked eggplant and topped with lamb stew with a tomato & onion gravy. The eggplant béchamel is simply called "Begendi" in Turkish cuisine and can be paired with a variety of meat, such as chicken, lamb or beef.

Made with bechamel mixed with smoked eggplant and topped with lamb stew with a tomato & onion gravy
Watched it. Wonderful! The music choice is lovely and your speed of cutting makes it almost meditative, really nice.
Can I bake the eggplant in an oven? I am affraid I don't have open flame...

When you diced the eggplant, it reminded me of KiopoOlu, it is a delicious Bulgarian vege's spread, with baked eggplant, baked red paprika, garlic...unsure where it originates...

My version of Kentucky Bourbon Fruit Cake....

View attachment 60641

View: https://youtu.be/si40eMW86mU
That cake looks so rich and delightful...just watched the video. Awesome. I was wondering what I could bake for my former piano teacher, I plan to visit her Friday or Saturday...that just gives me enough time to prepare this.
I would probably do a little tin for me, once I am at it.
Pecan no prob to get here, if I don't find Kentucky Bourbon, can I use another bourbon instead?
And does it refrigerate well?

Watched it. Wonderful! The music choice is lovely and your speed of cutting makes it almost meditative, really nice.
Can I bake the eggplant in an oven? I am affraid I don't have open flame...

When you diced the eggplant, it reminded me of KiopoOlu, it is a delicious Bulgarian vege's spread, with baked eggplant, baked red paprika, garlic...unsure where it originates...
Kyopolou (Köpoglu in Turkish cuisine) is more of an appetizer spread or meze as we call it in Turkey. It's indeed from the Bulgaria and west of Turkey. There is also a version in Romania, called Zacusca.
Sure, you can bake and roast the eggplant in the oven. :okay:

That cake looks so rich and delightful...just watched the video. Awesome. I was wondering what I could bake for my former piano teacher, I plan to visit her Friday or Saturday...that just gives me enough time to prepare this.
I would probably do a little tin for me, once I am at it.
Pecan no prob to get here, if I don't find Kentucky Bourbon, can I use another bourbon instead?
And does it refrigerate well?
You can use any bourbon for sure. And the cake definitely refrigerates well, it also keeps reasonably well unrefrigerated. It's quite a moist cake, and refrigerated or not stays a little sticky to touch. Call it finger licking good.. haha.

Are you building a snow man, a friend just sent me a vid of it snowing. The temp has dropped by 10c since last week. I've got the beans on for tomorrow.
Indeed, kid might want to build one😂,yep, big temp drop! Tomorrow as low as -5c....Goodness...we have to watch our step for ice. I suppose no snow for you there?
Beans? Niiiice...
Kid is having a lazy morning, slept in until 10.30 am...a true school break😁😂

You can use any bourbon for sure. And the cake definitely refrigerates well, it also keeps reasonably well unrefrigerated. It's quite a moist cake, and refrigerated or not stays a little sticky to touch. Call it finger licking good.. haha.
Perfect. Thank you! Love fruit cake. Researched bourbons in offer here, quite a few decent ones, will see what I get.
The lady is a huge bridge fan, this should be perfect for her...she is a very nice lady. 86 y old now. She lost her husband several years ago, and her eyesight is very bad, but her spirit is amazing.

Something simple.

Ikea meatballs, fries and veggies.

Please tell me how the chips (fries) were cooked.
I put them in the oven, 200 degrees upper and lower heat for 25 mins. They are fresh cut pre-fried ones (not frozen) from the supermarket. I always use these as they taste better than fried ones to me and my husband.

A friend of my wife passed the "new" char siu noodle shop around 13:00 today and confirmed it was still closed. My wife suggested that we call and check (it's only 5 minutes out of our way). At 15:30 they were open. When asked, they explained that opening between midday and midnight (plus) was getting them down so they've reduced their hours. Not that I blame them but surely it would have been prudent to at least advise potential punters with a notice to that effect on the cart?

Today's offering...

Technically, it is not "bourbon" unless it is from Kentucky, but that rule has been pushed aside quite a bit in recent years.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom