What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are making me rethink egg whites. I don't really like the white part, I am more of a yolk person. Scrambled eggs are great but fried eggs, I tend to not eat much of the whites, especially if they are even a touch runny (yuck). But the idea of a fluffy meringue sounds intriguing.

Yes, runny egg whites are nasty. If I do a fried egg, I'll generally cook it "over easy," just to make sure the whites are properly set (while keeping the yolks runny).

CD

Yes, runny egg whites are nasty. If I do a fried egg, I'll generally cook it "over easy," just to make sure the whites are properly set (while keeping the yolks runny).

CD
There is the sunny side up method of spooning hot fat over the egg to full cook the whites. My grandma (SE Texas) did that using bacon fat. It's amazing she lived to be 90 the way she ate.

Ok you made me do it with egg pics. Just fried piece of bread then an egg. Dash Worcester sauce. 10/10.

Russ

I don't like meringue at all. If it's on top of a pie, it's like eating sudsy foam, and if it's baked, it's like eating powder, or freeze-dried air. :headshake:

Cooking a Superpower stew. Oh well let's see :giggle: ...
Soaked chickpeas, millet, barley and beans overnight. Wanted to finally use the millet and chickpeas, had an open pack. Will probably freeze some once done.

Aiming at a 'Ričet" variation, an old Croatian barley/beans stew.
Celery, onion, garlic fried, let it cook now.

Varivo od ječma i graha - Podravka

Will post final pics later.

Superpower stew, ta taaa...
Absolutely delicious. The juices are almost mushroomy in taste, it is thick mainly from the millet I suppose, but the variety, you bite a chickpea, a bean...mm...it took about 2 hours to cook. Will post a recipe later as it is distinctly a variation.
The homemade pickled veges, onion, green bell pepper, yellow tomato.

Kid will have the meatballs of yeasterday along.

Superpower stew, ta taaa...
Absolutely delicious. The juices are almost mushroomy in taste, it is thick mainly from the millet I suppose, but the variety, you bite a chickpea, a bean...mm...it took about 2 hours to cook. Will post a recipe later as it is distinctly a variation.
The homemade pickled veges, onion, green bell pepper, yellow tomato.

View attachment 60744

Kid will have the meatballs of yeasterday along.
I made the beans yesterday the last pic is a portion ready to be heated up for tonight.Soak borlotti/ pinto/navy etc beans for 24 hrs, add chopped bits prsut place in your pot. Put In the drained beans. Add a cup of water/chicken stock, a jar of passata, a good squeeze of ketchup,chopped onion, a dollop of dijon, a dessert spoon of dark muscovado, a good shake of Worcestershire.Stir then cook for 8 hrsin slow cooker Stir and taste after 4 hrs, add a little more water if it appears to be drying out.Taste and season at the end.
1617798289199.png
1617798365848.png

add chopped bits prsut place in your pot.
Fantastic! Willtry your version too! I kept the seasoning really basic, salt and pepper, and whatever the onion and the garlic added on. Did include a whole other red onion sauteeed later...it's that natural grainy aroma that I wanted today...I enjoyed every spoon of the testing...

Yes, pršut or bacon (the 'hamburger' meaty one) or even sausage of some kind...Thought about putting some smoked paprika to get the smoked aroma, but did not today...the broth I kept adding had the 'cheat' veg spices in it, but nothing overwheming...just undertoning...

CD
There is the sunny side up method of spooning hot fat over the egg to full cook the whites. My grandma (SE Texas) did that using bacon fat. It's amazing she lived to be 90 the way she ate.

You can also add just a bit of water when you add the egg, cover the pan and let steam. You'll get a true sunny side up egg with a set white. That used to be the only way I could cook eggs for Craig without breaking the yolk.

As far as spooning the grease on top, Mom always had enough fat in the pan, she'd just tilt and swirl it a bit for the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom