What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisket burgers are expensive, but worth it. My ground chuck in my post was excellent, but now I want to make a brisket burger again.

Brisket is pretty cheap, at least in Texas. I bought a 3-pound piece of brisket flat, and it was around 4-bucks a pound.

As far as flavor, chuck is about as close as you can get to brisket, IMO. You could do a smoked burger with chuck.

CD

Last edited:
I made the pie from scratch. I braised the browned meat and veg in the liquid I used to reconstitute the dried porcini mushrooms in. I the lined the dish with H/M butter shortcrust. I then removed the meat from the cold stock and placed it in the lined tin. I blitz the cold stock containing the veg and mushrooms to thicken. I place a few blobs on the meat so the meat does not dry when backing but not enough to create a soggy bottom. The rest of the gravy I serve separately. Put the top crust on egg wash and bake NB I hate soggy bottoms so I place a heavy backing sheet on the oven wire shelf and heat it up till the oven achieve temp, then I place the pie tin on it and bake.
1618119994774.png
1618120014696.png
1618120038847.png
1618120061291.png
1618120088657.png

Last edited:
Last nights dinner. Steak an Mushroom pie with broccoli cauliflower and lashings of gravy. My wife made the pud pancakes stuffed with ground hazelnuts and chocolate ganache . At the last minute she decided to roll them and not make a flat cake. The meal was double dogs. So instead of freezing the left overs we will have the same tonight.
1618120597142.png
1618120633956.png
1618120669571.png
1618120699154.png
1618120721290.png

View attachment 60984

The fried egg has been unleashed. I now want to put it on everything. This is 4 ounces of ground chuck with homemade kimchi and a spicy mayo made from canola oil mayo and homemade harissa. Canola oil mayo taste like regular mayo, except that it is only 40 cal instead of 100 cal per serving. Many napkins were involved, too.

I could do without the kimchi, but the spicy mayo has me wondering how you made it. I have made Sriracha mayo, and it was pretty good. How did you make yours?

CD

I made the pie from scratch. I braised the browned meat and veg in the liquid I used to reconstitute the dried porcini mushrooms in. I the lined the dish with H/M butter shortcrust. I then removed the meat from the cold stock and placed it in the lined tin. I blitz the cold stock containing the veg and mushrooms to thicken. I place a few blobs on the meat so the meat does not dry when backing but not enough to create a soggy bottom. The rest of the gravy I serve separately. Put the top crust on egg wash and bake NB I hate soggy bottoms so I place a heavy backing sheet on the oven wire shelf and heat it up till the oven achieve temp, then I place the pie tin on it and bake.
View attachment 60986View attachment 60987View attachment 60988View attachment 60989View attachment 60990
Good morning. That sounds and looks like a true classic. Wonderful! I have copied the instructions to try it out sometime.

Or Texas.

CD
I made it 18 months in Texas! No one beat me up, but they were probably talking about me behind my back. :laugh:

...so you pick up the crudités with tweezers?
That was a bit of a joke. Like I said earlier, some things, you can't really get around touching, and in those cases, I try to get it over with as soon as possible.

MrsT was laughing at me because I did have a bit of paper towel in my lap, and every time I'd pick up something and eat it, I'd wipe my hands. She said it reminded her of how raccoons obsessively wash things.

MrsT was laughing at me because I did have a bit of paper towel in my lap, and every time I'd pick up something and eat it, I'd wipe my hands.
In that respect, I am somewhat similar to you, if there is like sauce, or oil, I wipe my hands off while eating, or if not needing to fetch or touch anything, could wait until I finish a segment of eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom