What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, the Reuben in my name is because that's what many people IRL know me as, even though it's not my given name.

There must be a story behind this. I remember referring to you previously as an authority on Reubens because, well, you know.... And, you said that you didn't really care for them. I imagine it went something like this:

YOU: "Nice to meet you. My name is Ryan."

HIM: "Hey, Reuben. Great to meet you."

YOU: "Um...my name is Ryan, not Reu-"

HIM: "Hey, everybody! Come over and say hello to Reuben!"

YOU: "Thanks, but my name is R-"

HER: "Yes, we know. Your name is Reuben. He just told us. I'll bet you love Reubens, don't you? I mean, how can you not??"

YOU: "Oh, forget it."

HER: (to HIM) "Boy...Reuben is really in a mood today, isn't he?"

It's a sandwich made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and thousand island (or Russian) dressing:

Reuben sandwich - Wikipedia

Incidentally, the Reuben in my name is because that's what many people IRL know me as, even though it's not my given name.
Cool. Thanks.
I was researching and they look astonishingly filling! Wow!
It says it is an American samdwich, so it is traditional food?

There must be a story behind this. I remember referring to you previously as an authority on Reubens because, well, you know.... And, you said that you didn't really care for them. I imagine it went something like this:

YOU: "Nice to meet you. My name is Ryan."

HIM: "Hey, Reuben. Great to meet you."

YOU: "Um...my name is Ryan, not Reu-"

HIM: "Hey, everybody! Come over and say hello to Reuben!"

YOU: "Thanks, but my name is R-"

HER: "Yes, we know. Your name is Reuben. He just told us. I'll bet you love Reubens, don't you? I mean, how can you not??"

YOU: "Oh, forget it."

HER: (to HIM) "Boy...Reuben is really in a mood today, isn't he?"
I actually don't know, it probably came from my granddad, because he seemed to have a weird relationship with names.

Every dog he'd ever owned was named Sam. Male or female, didn't matter, and if you said, "Hey, Granddad, I see you've got a new dog there, what's his name?" - he'd look at you like you had three heads and say, "Well, it's Sam," with an implied "...you idiot, what else would it be?!" stuck on the end.

I had an uncle named Robert, and he named his kid Robert Jr, but Robert Jr and I had another uncle also named Robert, so my granddad took to calling Robert Jr "Little Bob," and what was weird about that was Little Bob's dad was always called Robert, and our shared uncle Robert was always called Bob, and then Big Bob once Little Bob was born, so that people were always getting confused as to who Little Bob belonged to, so to fix that mess, my granddad started calling Little Bob by the name of Jack, but "Little Bob" was also firmly established by then.

So now, when you're talking about that particular cousin of mine, you might say Robert Jr, Junior, Little Bob, or Jack, and mean the same person.

My parents call me by my given name, my siblings call me Reuben, and I have two generations of niblings, and the older set call me Reuben and the younger set call me by my given.

...and now let's all join hands and sing "You Never Even Called Me By My Name." :laugh:

I actually don't know, it probably came from my granddad, because he seemed to have a weird relationship with names.

Every dog he'd ever owned was named Sam. Male or female, didn't matter, and if you said, "Hey, Granddad, I see you've got a new dog there, what's his name?" - he'd look at you like you had three heads and say, "Well, it's Sam," with an implied "...you idiot, what else would it be?!" stuck on the end.

I had an uncle named Robert, and he named his kid Robert Jr, but Robert Jr and I had another uncle also named Robert, so my granddad took to calling Robert Jr "Little Bob," and what was weird about that was Little Bob's dad was always called Robert, and our shared uncle Robert was always called Bob, and then Big Bob once Little Bob was born, so that people were always getting confused as to who Little Bob belonged to, so to fix that mess, my granddad started calling Little Bob by the name of Jack, but "Little Bob" was also firmly established by then.

So now, when you're talking about that particular cousin of mine, you might say Robert Jr, Junior, Little Bob, or Jack, and mean the same person.

My parents call me by my given name, my siblings call me Reuben, and I have two generations of niblings, and the older set call me Reuben and the younger set call me by my given.

...and now let's all join hands and sing "You Never Even Called Me By My Name." :laugh:
I definitely need a chart.😄😂

I've started singing kumbaya !!

Russ

Sofrito doesn't usually have cauliflower and carrots.

A standard sofrito is usually made with onion, garlic, tomato, red and green pepper. This is how would look like:

And I mean a standard because it may varies from one dish yo another. Sometimes can include leek, celery, carrots... But generally is as I say above.

The picture is the sofrito I cooked for the paella I posted previously. Important to mention it is seasoned with smoked sweet paprika (our famous Pimentón de la Vera where possible)... And salt :okay:

A standard sofrito is usually made with onion, garlic, tomato, red and green pepper. This is how would look like:

View attachment 62070

And I mean a standard because it may varies from one dish yo another. Sometimes can include leek, celery, carrots... But generally is as I say above.

The picture is the sofrito I cooked for the paella I posted previously. Important to mention it is seasoned with smoked sweet paprika (our famous Pimentón de la Vera where possible)... And salt :okay:

I need to try this soon.

Russ

Cool. Thanks.
I was researching and they look astonishingly filling! Wow!
It says it is an American samdwich, so it is traditional food?

It is a traditional NYC Deli sandwich, coming from the Jewish Delis NYC is famous for. Over time, It became well known all over the US.

In NYC, the Deli Sandwiches are usually HUGE, and packed with meat. Here is a typical NYC Reuben (on what looks like marble rye bread).

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.39.56 PM.png

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom