What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the new challenge ingredient is known, I have updated my grocery list ...

Beef, Ground
Beef, Stewing
Cheese, Asiago
Cheese, Gouda
Cheese, Gruyere
Cheese, Pepper Jack
Cheese, Swiss
Coffee Creamer
Cucumber
Eggs
Half N Half
Lamb, Stewing
Leeks
Lox
Mango Spears
Mushrooms, Morels
Mushrooms, Chanterelle
Mussels, New Zealand
Onions, Purple
Onions, Sweet
Pork, Chops, Thick
Pork, Ground
Radicchio
Scallops
Sausages
Spinach
Tomatoes, Roma
Truffles, Black
Veal
Whipping Cream, Heavy

I doubt that I will find Veal.

Last edited:
Has anyone come across "Wick's Hall Olde English Pork Sausages"? They've just appeared in the freezer of our up-market supermarket. Pricey at c. £12.00/kg but I'm prepared to pay that if they're good.

Has anyone come across "Wick's Hall Olde English Pork Sausages"? They've just appeared in the freezer of our up-market supermarket. Pricey at c. £12.00/kg but I'm prepared to pay that if they're good.

View attachment 55441
Never tried them, but just pulled up their website. They seem a decent operation - family run farm with decent welfare standards and good traceability. Online price for sausage here is around £9/kilo. They also do bacon, burgers and hams, all produced in their on-farm butchery. I would give them a try.

View attachment 55441

Sainsburys sell them. Customer reviews are good except that several people mention the tough casing. I'd say they are worth a punt. Sainsburys price is £2.65 (£6.62 per kilo).

I haven't tried them but here is the blurb (from Wickes Farm):

Farm made prime pork sausages

These delicious Olde English Pork Sausages are prepared by hand in our farm butchery using only the succulent prime cuts of British farmed pork blended with thyme, nutmeg, sage and pepper.

Family Farmers & Butchers
The Howie family have farmed Wicks Manor, in the beautiful Essex countryside, for fifty years. Our pigs live in open, fresh-strawed barns in a stress free environment, and fed crops grown and milled on the farm so we can confidently tell you what's in your meat.
Wicks Manor - Born & bred, farmed & fed!

They have a website: Home | Wicks Manor

My wife bought a different type of sugar recently but didn't tell me. Yesterday she replenished the sugar jar with it and this morning I added a teaspoon to my mug of coffee (virtually the only time that I eat sugar). Upon my first taste I almost vomited! Apparently, only a quarter of the amount is required as substitute for the "real thing". I must remember tomorrow.

Yes, I've been there. And I understand that Waitrose also sell them which is likely how they got here.

I'm currently awaiting reports from this end (which will be unlikely as they are a new addition). I'll probably share a 500 gm pack with a mate for a taste test.

That's more information than I need to eat a pork sausage. Buy a pack and share it with a friend... Um, mate. If you don't like it, don't buy any more. Geez, do I have to solve everyone's problems?

CD :D

That's more information than I need to eat a pork sausage. Buy a pack and share it with a friend... Um, mate. If you don't like it, don't buy any more. Geez, do I have to solve everyone's problems?

CD :D

It's not a problem. I dislike shelling out twice as much money as my normal sausages cost so I'll share the risk. Simple economics.

My wife bought a different type of sugar recently but didn't tell me. Yesterday she replenished the sugar jar with it and this morning I added a teaspoon to my mug of coffee (virtually the only time that I eat sugar). Upon my first taste I almost vomited! Apparently, only a quarter of the amount is required as substitute for the "real thing". I must remember tomorrow.

Then its not sugar...

It's not a problem. I dislike shelling out twice as much money as my normal sausages cost so I'll share the risk. Simple economics.

Just messing with you, but I have bought some things over the years that looked/sounded good, and sometimes I win, and sometimes I lose. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything sausage. I've only eaten a few that I've regretted.

CD

Just messing with you, but I have bought some things over the years that looked/sounded good, and sometimes I win, and sometimes I lose. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything sausage. I've only eaten a few that I've regretted.

CD

Unfortunately with sausages, I rarely win. I find that most sausages are, for me, overspiced or have insufficient meal. I love spices but in the proportions that I prefer. The one type that I currently buy are pork and tomato, very little spice and almost half the price of the subject sausages. But other folks do not like them at all. It's a matter of taste and sausages appear to be the items that vary the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom