What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grana Padano

Chicken deli meat
Bologna
Pears
Strawberries
Green beans
Fresh thyme
White button mushrooms
Green leaf lettuce
Fresh basil
Golden cherry tomatoes
Shallots
Italian parsley
Capers
Pitted kalamata olives
Rigatoni
Golden Crisp cereal
Canned diced tomatoes
Raisin Bran cereal
Active dry yeast
Caraway seeds
Chicken thighs
Heavy cream
Milk
Buttermilk
Eggs (free!)
Beer (Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale)

Chicken deli meat
Bologna
Pears
Strawberries
Green beans
Fresh thyme
White button mushrooms
Green leaf lettuce
Fresh basil
Golden cherry tomatoes
Shallots
Italian parsley
Capers
Pitted kalamata olives
Rigatoni
Golden Crisp cereal
Canned diced tomatoes
Raisin Bran cereal
Active dry yeast
Caraway seeds
Chicken thighs
Heavy cream
Milk
Buttermilk
Eggs (free!)
Beer (Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale)

I gotta' question the strawberries in January. I'm thinking they have to be white inside, and not very sweet. I hope I'm wrong. Of course, you can always dust them heavily with powdered sugar and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. But, it's not the same. Are you planning to cook/bake with them, and add sugar?

CD

I gotta' question the strawberries in January. I'm thinking they have to be white inside, and not very sweet. I hope I'm wrong. Of course, you can always dust them heavily with powdered sugar and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. But, it's not the same. Are you planning to cook/bake with them, and add sugar?

CD
I bought them for exactly the reason you question them...strawberries in January?! I just had to see...

They're Kroger's Private Selection brand, which I've never even seen in strawberries before. They're labeled "Supremely Sweet...Perfectly Plump & Juicy Every Time" - let's see, shall we?

Well, I can say that I've certainly had much, much worse from Kroger. Mildly sweet up front, fairly tart finish.

The label says these are greenhouse grown in the USA. MrsT will make short work of them tomorrow.

I bought them for exactly the reason you question them...strawberries in January?! I just had to see...

They're Kroger's Private Selection brand, which I've never even seen in strawberries before. They're labeled "Supremely Sweet...Perfectly Plump & Juicy Every Time" - let's see, shall we?

View attachment 54829

View attachment 54830

View attachment 54831

Well, I can say that I've certainly had much, much worse from Kroger. Mildly sweet up front, fairly tart finish.

The label says these are greenhouse grown in the USA. MrsT will make short work of them tomorrow.

They have a lot more red inside than what I expect from winter strawberries.

CD

Our strawberry crop will be starting to come in within the next 4-6 weeks depending on weather. There's a German Baptist place in the Redlands, south of Miami, that has great strawberries in February/March, and makes a mean strawberry milkshake.

Well, of all the stuff on my grocery list for the last trip, I was not able to get Veal. I looked it up to see if it was seasonally available. The answer is yes, from March to October in the Northern Hemisphere (USA).

Well, of all the stuff on my grocery list for the last trip, I was not able to get Veal. I looked it up to see if it was seasonally available. The answer is yes, from March to October in the Northern Hemisphere (USA).

Veal is hard to get here, and somewhat shunned, due to a long history of animal cruelty that went into veal production. I assume they use much more humane techniques these days, but there is still a stigma.

CD

Veal is hard to get here, and somewhat shunned, due to a long history of animal cruelty that went into veal production. I assume they use much more humane techniques these days, but there is still a stigma.

CD
What's the difference between a Calf and a Lamb?

What's the difference between a Calf and a Lamb?

Veal calfs were kept in small cages that kept them from moving, and fed milk far beyond when they should have been on solid food. The confinement was to keep the muscles from getting exercise, so the calf would stay tender.

Unknown-4.jpeg

Things didn't improve much...

Unknown-5.jpeg

Lambs are just sheep, raised in a pasture, and slaughtered young -- as I understand it.

CD

Veal calfs were kept in small cages that kept them from moving, and fed milk far beyond when they should have been on solid food. The confinement was to keep the muscles from getting exercise, so the calf would stay tender.

Things didn't improve much...

Lambs are just sheep, raised in a pasture, and slaughtered young -- as I understand it.

CD

Down Texas way, there was a woman with Autism who studied animal husbandry and behavior at the University of Colorado and was roundly criticized as not being able to do the job. But she not only proved her critics wrong, but became a force in reforming methods for raising and humanely slaughtering livestock such that the meat industries saved thousands of dollars and avoided much of the criticism from folks who saw their processing as inhumane. Her strengths in understanding animal behavior evolved directly out of her being Autistic.

Her name was Temple Grandin and she was Autistic. Oddly enough, she was born in Boston.

There is a movie about her "Temple Grandin" released in 2010.

Google search Temple Grandin to learn more.

Last edited:
Long list today:

Fresh Basil
Fresh Thyme
Cherry Tomatoes
Yellow Onions
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Red Leaf Lettuce
Leeks
Celery*
Garlic
BBQ Sauce**
Mustard
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce
Whole Peeled Tomatoes
Tomato Paste
AP Flour
Cornbread Mix**
Celery Seed
Ancho Chili Powder
Flaked Coconut
Dried Great Northern Beans
Canned Sliced Apples
Grapeseed Oil***
EVOO
HSOO (high-heat olive oil)
Sliced Almonds
Baby Back Ribs
Bird Seed
Bird Suet
Goat Cheese
Cream Cheese
Butter
Water
Pie Crust
Half-And-Half
Milk

*I bought celery, but they'd removed the price barcode, so I had to scan broccoli, which worked out to 10 cents in their favor. :)
** I usually make my own from scratch, but I'm lazy this week
*** First time trying this as a replacement for canola oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom