What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to make a comment for US members who might be able to take advantage of Instacart.

I used Instacart yesterday, for the first time, and the experience was free and well managed. They provided continuous updates with phone messages - when their shopper was picking things out, when the shopper checked out of the store, when the shopper started his deliveries and when the shopper was about to reach my address, followed by a message stating that the delivery had been made. And the whole thing was trackable on my lap top as well.

I don't know whether other members outside the US have such a service available to them. But for US members, I highly recommend it, for those times when you stuck at home and don't want to give up your parking spot on the street, but need something from the store.

BTW: Free delivery is based upon a purchase of $35 USD or more.

It sounds like a great service. I wish I could get it here.

And I have also thought that I would only order dry goods with Instacart, no perishables, like produce or meats
I thought the same thing, which led to the conclusion that if I'm going in to get meat and produce, I may as well get the pantry items while I'm there. Otherwise, I'm spending the added cost of Instacart and incurring my own fuel & time cost.

I didn't tip the guy at all.
It's a delivery service, no different than ordering a pizza, so a tip is the norm. Instacart recommends a minimum 5% tip. Kroger curbside pickup...those shoppers aren't allowed to accept tips, and Kroger doesn't mark the prices up like Instacart does. What I pay going for curbside is exactly what I'd pay if I'd gone in and shopped for myself.

Good luck with it, I do hope it works out for you. Had I had the same shopping experience I'd had the first time (good, not great), I'd probably still be using them from time to time - an example of one bad shopper/experience completely souring me on the whole thing.

That said, it's good knowing they're there if I ever needed them in a true emergency.

Kroger curbside pickup...those shoppers aren't allowed to accept tips, and Kroger doesn't mark the prices up like Instacart does. What I pay going for curbside is exactly what I'd pay if I'd gone in and shopped for myself.

Publix has started doing that here. They have huge refrigerated walk ins in the stores where your stuff waits until you pick up. I have seen uniformed employees filling orders. Haven't looked at the app yet though for it.

Publix has never allowed tipping, not even the bag boys/girls. Supposedly accepting a tip will get you fired, though I have seen people slip the bag b/g a tip now and again after they unload your cart into your car.

My nephew was an Instacart shopper for a while (before the pandemic), and he was filling me in on some of their encouraged shopping practices, like not weighing things (takes too much time), not really checking produce (takes too much time), and above all, not giving the buyer the store receipt, so they can't track back what they paid for something versus what the store actually charged.

I know the last time I used them, my $45 in groceries came out more like $65, and that was with the free delivery, and I barely tipped them (maybe 5% - I just can't bring myself to stiff someone completely), and it was still way up there.

There must have been some complaints, if that was happening, because all billing is handled online by the supermarket's site. It at least seemed so. And the items are what I choose, not what the shopper chooses. If I would have received something else, a different brand name, for example, I would have refused the order.

Again, I think I would only order dry goods or packaged meat products this way.

My receipt was immediately given online and the amount remained as was given.

I concede, that the super market's online pricing might be a bit higher, if they factor in some percentage they know they will have to pay Instacart. They need to somehow profit.

Walmart uses Instacart, but they insist on an annual fee to do home deliveries. I used FoodMaxx and they did not require a fee.

10C4E897-DDE6-47DE-9709-8109D0233815.jpeg

I am one of those weird people who actually enjoys shopping for food. I can see the advantages of having someone else do it during COVID-19, but I just like walking up and down the isles, picking things out, looking at the meats and produce and buying what I want to buy At that moment

Publix has started doing that here. They have huge refrigerated walk ins in the stores where your stuff waits until you pick up. I have seen uniformed employees filling orders. Haven't looked at the app yet though for it.

Publix has never allowed tipping, not even the bag boys/girls. Supposedly accepting a tip will get you fired, though I have seen people slip the bag b/g a tip now and again after they unload your cart into your car.
I was a bag boy for a while when I was 16 at a store that had a no tipping policy. The manager told us that if somebody offered a tip, we should tell them that no tipping is necessary, but if they insisted we could take the tip.

Being fired for excepting a tip from someone who insists on tipping you is a bunch of BS in my view. I’d be looking for a better job just because I wouldn’t want to work for people like that.

I am a 20% tipper at restaurants, unless I get bad service, and by bad service I mean bad service from the server. I don’t blame the server if the kitchen does a bad job. I tip porters at airports two dollars per bag they handle, and tip valet car parkers two dollars per person in the car. I do that because I know the minimum wage for people who get tips is about $2.50. They make all their money on tips, at least that is how it is in the US. If someone does their job well, and is courteous, they deserve to be able to make a living. The . They make all their money on tips, at least that is how it is in the US. If someone does their job well, and is courteous, they deserve to be able to make a living.

Last edited:
... apparently its a 'superfood'!

Jasberry Rice

Jasberry rice is a special variety of rice that was developed over a decade through natural cross-breeding. Organic and non-GMO, Jasberry rice is dark purple in color and absolutely delicious. Jasberry rice has 40 times more antioxidants than brown rice, 4 times more antioxidants than quinoa and 7 times more antioxidants than kale. Jasberry rice’s amazing antioxidant content makes it the world’s newest superfood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom