What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. TastyReuben can get some??

Russ
It would be a long drive for him, probably about 3.5 to 4 hours each way? He is down in the SW corner of the state, I live in the NE region, and I am 45 minutes south (depending on traffic) from where they have the grapes (it's up on Lake Erie). And of course right now they don't have any, too cold. I think they will open back up in the spring.

I normally go to out local Walmart once a week and spend maybe in hour shopping.
I don't know why I've waited so long to do this, but I went online to my account and pulled up a list of all of my purchases, added the items that I wanted to my 'cart', selected 'pick up' date and time, paid for it and got a receipt.
All I have to do tomorrow morning is go to the store, park in the assigned stall and wait for a nice person to put them in the back end of our SUV!
DONE!
Where have I been all this time? That was great!

I normally go to out local Walmart once a week and spend maybe in hour shopping.
I don't know why I've waited so long to do this, but I went online to my account and pulled up a list of all of my purchases, added the items that I wanted to my 'cart', selected 'pick up' date and time, paid for it and got a receipt.
All I have to do tomorrow morning is go to the store, park in the assigned stall and wait for a nice person to put them in the back end of our SUV!
DONE!

Yep! Its great and saves routine shopping. Nobody is going to convince me that its lots fun to go around a supermarket for everyday items.

I do all shopping on-line and here it gets delivered to my door too. I've not been in a supermarket for years. The downside is minor - sometimes they substitute items not in stock. However, in general I've ended up with more expensive items being substituted so I'm not complaining. In general, the produce is fresher as it comes direct from the warehouse and hasn't been sitting on supermarket shelves.

I've been doing supermarket shopping on-line and delivered for the last 25 years. That is, since 1996 when Tesco's first launched it.

Delivery (except via Instacrap) isn't available in my area yet, but I'll admit, Kroger does a good job here with their curbside pickup. I've generally been pretty happy with their choices of meats, fruit, and veg.

I considered going back to curbside for the next couple of months, but I just like doing me own shopping too much. Yesterday, for example, I bought a few things that weren't on my list (mainly the meat I posted yesterday) because it was on special. I would have never known that if I'd just relied on my list and the app.

A pint of milk.

Now, you may think, why would that be worth posting about. But this pint of milk in a proper glass bottle is from a Kent dairy farm who have started delivering milk early in the morning, just like the old days. Probably its not the same in other countries but in the UK 'the milkman' (it always seemed to be a man) was a daily occurrence. You would often be woken up by the sound of rattling bottles on the milk float. Anyway, I signed up for this new delivery and there it was - a pint of milk left on the doorstep first thing. You leave the empty bottles on the doorstep for the milk person to collect next time they deliver. Brilliant!

A pint of milk.

Now, you may think, why would that be worth posting about. But this pint of milk in a proper glass bottle is from a Kent dairy farm who have started delivering milk early in the morning, just like the old days. Probably its not the same in other countries but in the UK 'the milkman' (it always seemed to be a man) was a daily occurrence. You would often be woken up by the sound of rattling bottles on the milk float. Anyway, I signed up for this new delivery and there it was - a pint of milk left on the doorstep first thing. You leave the empty bottles on the doorstep for the milk person to collect next time they deliver. Brilliant!
I remember that when I was a small human being. I do purchase an organic local milk in pint bottles, it's kinda cool, but I'm sure most think it's silly.

I remember that when I was a small human being. I do purchase an organic local milk in pint bottles, it's kinda cool, but I'm sure most think it's silly.

We had a milkman deliver to our house when I was a kid in the 60s. It was a couple of half-gallons at our house, not pints. I don't see how a pint of milk delivered could be cost effective today.

I also can't imagine milk delivery working where I live in the summer months, when the night time low temperatures are in the 80sF. You would need a refrigerator on your front porch.

I'd be okay with food delivery for packaged foods, but I am way too picky about meats to let anyone else pick them out for me.

CD

We had a milkman deliver to our house when I was a kid in the 60s. It was a couple of half-gallons at our house, not pints. I don't see how a pint of milk delivered could be cost effective today.

I also can't imagine milk delivery working where I live in the summer months, when the night time low temperatures are in the 80sF. You would need a refrigerator on your front porch.

I'd be okay with food delivery for packaged foods, but I am way too picky about meats to let anyone else pick them out for me.

CD
Hey I have a problem with someone else shopping for me, period. never going to happen/end story. :okay:

A pint of milk.

Amazing! I would love something similar

A pint of milk.

We had that when we lived in Wyton in the '90's. The whirring of the electric vehicle and the tinkling of the bottles is one of those instant memory triggers.

The milk used to have a cap of hard cream to break through, and it was delicious. I believe he also carried orange juice and eggs.

My most favorite episode of Father Ted revolves around a randy milkman, the equally randy women of the village, their offspring, and a milk float engineered to explode, much like the bus in Speed. :laugh:

Here's Father Dougal filling in for the baby-making milkman:

View: https://youtu.be/qOjpQ3rXAio

DONE!
Yep, and curbside is free for orders over $35. I've been doing it since the start of the pandemic. I have my order placed for Thursday. I like it because I can get Pyrex containers or a stainless steel spatula from the kitchen department (or something else non-food related) at a good price for pickup all at the same time as my groceries. I have my regular grocery store in rotation because their shoppers do a better job with meat and produce, but there are some things I really am fine with getting at Walmart, such as yeast, bread flour, spices, condiments, etc. And some produce there is fine, really, celery, fresh herbs, lettuce, carrots, potatoes. Those are going to be about the same no matter where you shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom