What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have more of them than us!

I've got the following supermarkets:
Albert Heijn 08.00 to 22.00
Jumbo 07.00 to 22.00
Hoogvliet 08.00 to 21.00
Lidl 09.00 to 21.00

We only shop at the local Albert Heijn, the rest of our food comes from several national delivery chains. Mostly because the NL supermarket world is very boring, they all basically sell the same stuff and the only thing they compete on is price. For higher quality goods that are somewhat more expensive you need a delivery service or live in the big cities.

I suppose we're lucky in a way. We live to the east of the town where the "out of town" supermarkets have been built. We are within 2 km of all of them.

Last edited:
I had to look pomelo up. It is hard to tell in your photo how big they are. They are similar to grapefruit, but larger and not bitter like grapefruit, from what read.

What are you going to do with them?

CD

Probably give three away. The rest have for breakfast maybe:

Those posted average c. 160mm dia and weigh around 1.20kg each.

Love that stuff! Taro fritters are my favourites - how do you use it?

My wife washed them, then boiled them (she thinks for 15 minutes), allowed them to cool, then peeled them and ate them in slices. I didn't bother.

As DH & I were on our way out of Phonix heading back home, we stopped at an Asian Market for supplies.
IMG_2337.JPG

THE most important item, New Zealand Green Lip Mussels ... DH loves these (I'm allergic) ... I bought the last 6 pounds.
IMG_2338.JPG

I did not buy this, but found it interesting ... no clue that you could actually BUY this!
IMG_2336.JPG

My jaw hit the ground when I saw this!
WOW!
We'd drink this all the time back home in Hawaii, but I can't stomach that price!
I just looked this drink up online at my favorite grocery store in Honolulu, $4.89/6cans ... still too much!

My advent chocolates arrived by my posties' second visit! There's a first, we usually only get 2 or 3 deliveries a week but my postie messed up and instead of leaving me my express delivery parcel, left me someone else's (who lives about +20km away....) so she sent me a message asking me to leave it in my post box, and she'd come back and collect it and leave me my express parcel. Good thing she did because it was a box of very expensive vegan chocolates well wrapped and insulated with chiller stuff in there with them. We only get them once a year because they are very good, totally delicious and I could easily eat the entire box in a sitting. You really can not tell they are vegan (except for the fact I can eat them and not kill myself in the process)... The chocolatier is from Belgium originally and now lives in Tasmania. He posted them on Tuesday morning and they were delivered Thursday morning, well would have been if my postie had left the correct parcel, lol.

He only had enough spare chocolates for 1 box because a company had placed an order for 60 boxes of vegan chocolates the week before which he was posting the day i contacted him and this was what he had left over. He warned me that this box would have duplicates. I don't mind because I wrap them all into identical pairs for an advent calendar anyway.

I'm still owed 2 more boxes. They will be a box for Christmas and Wedding Anniversary and another box for a very big birthday coming up, that is when I actually get to pay him for any. He was due in hospital today for an operation (oncology), so wasn't worried about me paying him!

My advent chocolates arrived by my posties' second visit! There's a first, we usually only get 2 or 3 deliveries a week but my postie messed up and instead of leaving me my express delivery parcel, left me someone else's (who lives about +20km away....) so she sent me a message asking me to leave it in my post box, and she'd come back and collect it and leave me my express parcel. Good thing she did because it was a box of very expensive vegan chocolates well wrapped and insulated with chiller stuff in there with them. We only get them once a year because they are very good, totally delicious and I could easily eat the entire box in a sitting. You really can not tell they are vegan (except for the fact I can eat them and not kill myself in the process)... The chocolatier is from Belgium originally and now lives in Tasmania. He posted them on Tuesday morning and they were delivered Thursday morning, well would have been if my postie had left the correct parcel, lol.

View attachment 93155

View attachment 93154

He only had enough spare chocolates for 1 box because a company had placed an order for 60 boxes of vegan chocolates the week before which he was posting the day i contacted him and this was what he had left over. He warned me that this box would have duplicates. I don't mind because I wrap them all into identical pairs for an advent calendar anyway.

I'm still owed 2 more boxes. They will be a box for Christmas and Wedding Anniversary and another box for a very big birthday coming up, that is when I actually get to pay him for any. He was due in hospital today for an operation (oncology), so wasn't worried about me paying him!
I'm starting my advent calendars today too!

Looks beautiful, just too dark for me. Hope they're good!

I'm starting my advent calendars today too!

Looks beautiful, just too dark for me. Hope they're good!
It's the 4th year I've bought from him. I found the company by accident a few years ago on a site that sold his chocolates along with loads of other stuff from Tasmania. I hunted around for contact details for him that following Christmas and rang him directly. At the time he didn't do larger boxes than 8 chocolates, but I talked him into doing some 36 chocolates in a box and he arranged for 3 boxes for me that year. I also went on to recommended him on various vegan groups I used to be a member of (several on FB) and I know several members contacted him as well... I have to restrict myself to how many I buy but this year is a special year so I don't mind. Last year my excuse was our 25th wedding anniversary but this year is a bigger event, so definitely worth it.

Whilst the chocolates are dark chocolate on the outside, the contents vary and I certainly can't tell anymore that they are dark chocolate. The gnache ones are wonderful... and the fruit pastels are amazing on a white chocolate base. You can immediately identify what fruit has been used to flavour them (passion fruit, raspberry, vanilla and so on from previous years). It will be interesting to see what others come in the other boxes. The center 4 are new ones this year as well.

I had to look pomelo up. It is hard to tell in your photo how big they are. They are similar to grapefruit, but larger and not bitter like grapefruit, from what read.

What are you going to do with them?

CD

My wife peeled two of them yesterday evening. This bowl is 210mm diameter.

And I had some for breakfast this morning with cantaloupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom