What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a can of British Heinz baked beans in the International section at Kroger, and a can of Bush's baked beens. I want to do a side-by-side comparison. I went with the "original recipe" Bush's, to be a fair comparison. I'll let you know what I think.

I'll be sleeping alone after the test, since I no longer have a dog to blame it on. :happy:

View attachment 93639

CD

They will be rather different I think, since the Bush's has bacon and brown sugar. The Heinz version is quite plain, sweetish and tomato tasting. I just buy the supermarkets' cheapest brand these days, since they emulate the Heinz at a fraction of the price.

They will be rather different I think, since the Bush's has bacon and brown sugar. The Heinz version is quite plain, sweetish and tomato tasting. I just buy the supermarkets' cheapest brand these days, since they emulate the Heinz at a fraction of the price.

Looking at the Heinz ingredients, it looks like is has a dominant tomato sauce Flavor. It has been many years since I had Bush's Original Recipe beans, and as I mentioned, I've never had Heinz beans.

Most baked beans in the US have brown sugar. Bacon is also common, but it is used like a seasoning for flavor. It is not a major ingredient.

CD

Just raided the veg plot for raspberries (¼kg). The strawberries didn't survive long enough to make it into the house..

20221214_152836.jpg

I've been getting roughly this amount 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of weeks now. 🤫 don't tell hubby. They usually don't make it into the house either, but I thought I would start picking some and saving them for the pavlova on Christmas day. They'll make a fantastic coulis for it.

Just raided the veg plot for raspberries (¼kg). The strawberries didn't survive long enough to make it into the house..
I've been getting roughly this amount 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of weeks now. 🤫 don't tell hubby. They usually don't make it into the house either, but I thought I would start picking some and saving them for the pavlova on Christmas day. They'll make a fantastic coulis for it.

I love raspberries but we don't get them here, or not fresh anyway.

Reminds me when I used to raid my boss's garden in Childer Thorton (on the Wirral); there were hardly any that ended up in the basket.

I love raspberries but we don't get them here, or not fresh anyway.

Reminds me when I used to raid my boss's garden in Childer Thorton (on the Wirral); there were hardly any that ended up in the basket.
Yep, I've been having a very hard time sharing any with hubby. I got away with it for 2 weeks because he was away in another state but now he's home that excuse is a little lame! Lol

Raspberries have always been my very favourite fruit and flavour. I don't think I could live somewhere I couldn't buy them it at least grow them. It's looking like it's going to be a really good year for them this year. It will be the 3rd year they have been in. First year they didn't fruit (expected with then being a summer fruiting variety and not an autumn one), last year I had a few but this year there were masses of flowers and still are as well. I also got a second crop from them last year as well, where they flowered and fruited off what should have been this year's growth, so I guess they think they have had 4 growing seasons in the ground. The pear and the apple trees also flowered a second time last year as well (I think it's the cold spell we're having yet again so plants think it's winter again just not cold enough yet to kill anything, though tonight is meant to be very cold here (a frost again).)

The yesterday's bread I used to buy from Lidl is more expensive now. It used to cost 0,89€/kg, it now costs 1,36€/kg!:eek: It's still less expensive than fresh bread but it's a 0,5€ increase in a matter of days!

IMG_2373.JPG

It's been about a year that Cowboyville Arizona USA has had a See's Candies store ... FINALLY we now have a permanent store in the main downtown area and it opened TODAY!!!
I just happened to be in the area and stopped in ...
The price on these has really gone up, as really everything has.
This is DH's favorite.
I had purchased a box each of Molasses Chips and Nuts & Chews for Mom last month through a fund raiser for a local school.

MrsT wanted to make her holiday visit to the international market, so off we went “just to look.”

AC94710F-61BA-4B16-A1E0-6888CA2821A1.jpeg
33378FCE-E6A2-4FE6-9D58-7365F72A0520.jpeg

Walmart has Dot's products. I don't know if they have the limited release stuff.

CD

Ok, time for some comparison shopping:

1st stop was ALDI:

9FE6A6A9-03A1-4AFA-B0AC-2131B50EB846.jpeg
C724222B-0F7C-44EF-9529-422BD6312D08.jpeg
6CCF813B-8A4D-4EB0-80FB-E6D387AA09CF.jpeg

That cost $49US.

Next stop, Kroger:
3F989342-73D0-4C07-950A-3C0C209D7AD7.jpeg
F614929C-6A87-4F28-8C2E-52D80A932F73.jpeg

That cost $83.

Last stop was Dorothy Lane Markets (aka “the gourmet shop”):
ECCF338D-51C1-4003-A00B-1AB1D12BE7B4.jpeg

That cost $60. Believe it or not, just the coffee and the nutmeg were fully half that cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom