What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally understand the concept of a vegan restaurant, but what makes a hotel vegan? :scratchhead:

CD
Absence of non- vegan drinks (Inc alcohol) in rooms, absence of wool, leather, suede and so on through the place. Suitable toiletries (most soaps contain animal fat) etc. No feathers in pillows or quilts, no woollen blankets, suitable detergents used to wash bedding and so on. No woollen carpets, suitable fertiliser (no animal bone or fish blood) used to feed plants.
Lack of hunting "trophies" on the wall and so on...

Last edited:
Having remembered Daikon radishes in post #81 I thought maybe I should try them here (my wife says they are available). I put them on the list and my wife rang me from the market "Do you just want one? They're very big".

"OK, just one then".

They were big.

It weighs in at ½kg and cost the equivalent of just over £0.50.

Last edited:
Unexpected “night out” (I put that in quotes because I was back home by 9:20PM, and that’s counting 40-minute drives each way :laugh: ), and it included a stop at the international market:
I know where you were....
And that hot sauce section just blows me away!! I always buy something there, regardless of how many hot sauce I´ve got at home.

I know where you were....
And that hot sauce section just blows me away!! I always buy something there, regardless of how many hot sauce I´ve got at home.
With me, it’s the crisps/chips. I always buy those. We’ll be back again in about 10 days to get our Christmas rib roast, once they go on sale.

It's cherry season here... $20 for the container. This was at a rest stop on the way into Canberra. Cash only.

And then we stopped by at a cafe shop and picked up quite a few things including this freshly baked loaf.

They had some kind of cookie parade while MrsT was at Disney, so she came back with a bag of these:

They all look a little worse for wear from the plane trip back from Florida.

I picked up a can of British Heinz baked beans in the International section at Kroger, and a can of Bush's baked beens. I want to do a side-by-side comparison. I went with the "original recipe" Bush's, to be a fair comparison. I'll let you know what I think.

I'll be sleeping alone after the test, since I no longer have a dog to blame it on. :happy:

IMG_2056.JPG

CD

In addition to the local baked beans here we have the Heinz and Branston baked beans in tins. The prices are currently the equivalent of US$2.44 and US$1.55 respectively for 410 gms.

We don't have Bush's.

Chicory is a popular addition to coffee in Cajun country in the US (SW Louisiana and SE Texas). It's pretty bold in flavor.

View attachment 93286

CD
Oh ok, sorry, I am slow, I guess it is mixed in the packaging that you showed, so one pours the water over the blend...how cool!
I am using chicory pure, it releases me of the caffeine, tasted good,plus it is farily inexpensive. it would be interesting to mix it with coffee and then taste. The taste as is, pure, is not that overwhelming...actually I'd have to remind myself of the pure taste... I add rice milk and the mentioned spices...

Oh ok, sorry, I am slow, I guess it is mixed in the packaging that you showed, so one pours the water over the blend...how cool!
I am using chicory pure, it releases me of the caffeine, tasted good,plus it is farily inexpensive. it would be interesting to mix it with coffee and then taste. The taste as is, pure, is not that overwhelming...actually I'd have to remind myself of the pure taste... I add rice milk and the mentioned spices...

Yes, you brew it exactly like you would ordinary coffee.

CD

In addition to the local baked beans here we have the Heinz and Branston baked beans in tins. The prices are currently the equivalent of US$2.44 and US$1.55 respectively for 410 gms.

We don't have Bush's.

I believe Heinz baked beens are the best-selling brand in the UK, and Bush's baked beens are the top-seller in the US. I've never had Heinz baked beans, as they are not popular at all in the US (I found them in the International section of the store, even though Heinz is an American company).

CD

I picked up a can of British Heinz baked beans in the International section at Kroger, and a can of Bush's baked beens. I want to do a side-by-side comparison. I went with the "original recipe" Bush's, to be a fair comparison. I'll let you know what I think.

I'll be sleeping alone after the test, since I no longer have a dog to blame it on. :happy:

View attachment 93639

CD
I’ve eaten Heinz baked beans fairly recently, so the flavor is fresh in my mind. It’ll be interesting to see what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom