What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a seasoning for potatoes. Interesting, as
it has ginger in it. Not something I would normally use with potatoes.

8259CBB0-CEEE-4DD3-9BCB-860F21D23425.jpeg

I'd never heard/tasted Yorkshire Pudding before my Grandmother re-married.
All holidays at their house was a roast, potatoes, vegetables and Yorkshire Pudding drowning in gravy... I recent discovered that Grandpa Ed was from England! He loved that Sunday Roast dinner and Grandma couldn't cook a lick, so she found a local restaurant to cater it :laugh:

I'd never heard/tasted Yorkshire Pudding before my Grandmother re-married.
All holidays at their house was a roast, potatoes, vegetables and Yorkshire Pudding drowning in gravy... I recent discovered that Grandpa Ed was from England! He loved that Sunday Roast dinner and Grandma couldn't cook a lick, so she found a local restaurant to cater it :laugh:

The best ever beef n puds we ever had was at a hotel we stayed in just out of Manchester. Huge puds 3 times what we had. We still talk about it 20 years later.

Russ

The best ever beef n puds we ever had was at a hotel we stayed in just out of Manchester. Huge puds 3 times what we had. We still talk about it 20 years later.

Russ
Sounds like our trip to the maratimes in Canada (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in 2014 where we had lobstah for $3.99 lb and a dog dish (big dog) sized bowl of diver scallops for $5...steamed and brought to our table on the deck overlooking the water with the lighthouse in the background. Sigh. Those days are long gone. If we went back I am sure they would still be cheaper than what we can get here, but I am also sure that the price probably tripled or more.

Big shopping trip today:

4F4D9F0E-C748-4BD4-AD03-6F550C7125C4.jpeg

Clearance beer strikes again - that Bell’s is normally $11US…marked down to $4!

7C3D8FF7-6B81-4779-BADC-D4562117CCD8.jpeg
DE3BA458-A2E4-4DF2-A16C-F44E59259009.jpeg

That’s the only canned pizza sauce I like. I also didn’t notice the banana peppers are “New! Italian seasoned!” - so I’m looking forward to that, and I don’t know when I last used ham base for something, but I need it for a recipe next weekend (SPD!).

892AC9CA-C2AB-45B6-90FD-75877A1EED8C.jpeg

Those are lemon plums next to the, well, lemons. I’d never had them before, so I bought some a couple of weeks ago, and they were fantastic, so I bought more. MrsT doesn’t like plums, so more for me!

How about a good leek story:

I was at Meijer, a place I might grocery-shop four times a year, and I always have trouble in their produce department, because everything is randomly laid out. For example, there’s lettuce in the back along the wall, other lettuce in a case in the middle of the area, and more lettuce on the end of a case in another part of the department. It’s mind-boggling.

I was looking for leeks, and as usual, couldn’t find them. I assumed they’d be with the green onions, etc., because that’s where Kroger puts them. Looked at the case with the green onions, no luck, and looked everywhere else, no luck.

I went back to the green onion area to look again (I’m notorious for missing things right in front of my face), and I still couldn’t find them. Luckily, there was a woman unpacking produce right next to where I was looking:

“Excuse me…can you tell me where the leeks are, or if maybe you’re out?”
“Yeah…uh…right here.”
She points to the fennel.
“No, that’s fennel.”
“Oh, right…ok…uh, here it is.”
She picks up a kohlrabi.
“That’s kohlrabi.”
“Ok, you got me. I don’t really know what leeks are.”
😐

8A073F64-C92E-4BCD-95D8-FCFBBC793848.jpeg

My first time buying Thai chili peppers. I know nothing about them or how hot they are, but the rice recipe I’m making tomorrow calls for them. I needed just two, but they’re so small, I couldn’t buy just two. That’s maybe 15 peppers…28 cents.

17A04C2B-4D1A-4B53-AB34-396F9E3BB4D7.jpeg

I really thought I was going to have to go to the gourmet shop for Irish sausages (also for my SPD recipe next weekend), and…BAM!…there they were, at Meijer’s.

Also, I hate buying that shredded mozzarella, but it’s getting harder and harder to find whole milk mozzarella in blocks/bricks here. 😠

Big shopping trip today:

View attachment 97130
Clearance beer strikes again - that Bell’s is normally $11US…marked down to $4!

View attachment 97131View attachment 97132
That’s the only canned pizza sauce I like. I also didn’t notice the banana peppers are “New! Italian seasoned!” - so I’m looking forward to that, and I don’t know when I last used ham base for something, but I need it for a recipe next weekend (SPD!).

View attachment 97133
Those are lemon plums next to the, well, lemons. I’d never had them before, so I bought some a couple of weeks ago, and they were fantastic, so I bought more. MrsT doesn’t like plums, so more for me!

How about a good leek story:

I was at Meijer, a place I might grocery-shop four times a year, and I always have trouble in their produce department, because everything is randomly laid out. For example, there’s lettuce in the back along the wall, other lettuce in a case in the middle of the area, and more lettuce on the end of a case in another part of the department. It’s mind-boggling.

I was looking for leeks, and as usual, couldn’t find them. I assumed they’d be with the green onions, etc., because that’s where Kroger puts them. Looked at the case with the green onions, no luck, and looked everywhere else, no luck.

I went back to the green onion area to look again (I’m notorious for missing things right in front of my face), and I still couldn’t find them. Luckily, there was a woman unpacking produce right next to where I was looking:

“Excuse me…can you tell me where the leeks are, or if maybe you’re out?”
“Yeah…uh…right here.”
She points to the fennel.
“No, that’s fennel.”
“Oh, right…ok…uh, here it is.”
She picks up a kohlrabi.
“That’s kohlrabi.”
“Ok, you got me. I don’t really know what leeks are.”
😐

View attachment 97134
My first time buying Thai chili peppers. I know nothing about them or how hot they are, but the rice recipe I’m making tomorrow calls for them. I needed just two, but they’re so small, I couldn’t buy just two. That’s maybe 15 peppers…28 cents.

View attachment 97135
I really thought I was going to have to go to the gourmet shop for Irish sausages (also for my SPD recipe next weekend), and…BAM!…there they were, at Meijer’s.

Also, I hate buying that shredded mozzarella, but it’s getting harder and harder to find whole milk mozzarella in blocks/bricks here. 😠
Great adventure tasty.
Wife a year or so ago taking I think parsnips to check out. Guy asked if they were carrots..?
True story.
Chillies.we have 100s. Wife picking 40 a day.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom