What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just call them melons -but they're cantaloupe, just like in the USA. Very occasionally, I'll find yellow melon in the market. I remember as a kid having slices of that sprinkled with sugar and powdered ginger.
We also have a new yellow melon, it’s only been in the main markets for a few summers, which for some reason is called “happy melon” or “sunshine melon” or anything really, like we can’t decide.
23AC25F6-E811-4B61-9F9F-8F437E6167A0.jpeg

Honey Dew is much more rarely seen than the “cantaloupe” (is that French?) and it’s got green flesh and a very pale green smooth rind.

64F6579E-BEB7-46E6-8BE7-80EA4B9730F1.jpeg

Water, rock & honeydew.

Last edited:
We also have a new yellow melon, it’s only been in the main markets for a few summers, which for some reason is called “happy melon” or “sunshine melon” or anything really, like we can’t decide.
View attachment 100601

Honey Dew is much more rarely seen than the “cantaloupe” (is that French?) and it’s got green flesh and a very pale green smooth rind.

View attachment 100600

Water, rock & honeydew.

I love honeydew melons. They are a bit harder to find here, but I can get them. Once again, you have to get them when they are in season and ripe.

CD

I haven't heard of that one. Fuji are expensive but I spoil my wife.we have orchards 15 mins away.
Braeburn figures quite high.
I'm not one for apples etc, except apple crumble.

Russ
Yyp, me too. I like apples in tarts, crumble, pies, etc. but not fresh apples or applesauce. I don't hate them but would rather have berries and such.

Was a fabulous train breakfast. We had a 3 hour journey and took coffee, fruit salad & pork buns.
Well jelly on the trains here they have a paltry cart that makes airlines look good and even then on the longer journeys theyre available for its often suspended or only available for 1st class and the concessions close to the stations are mostly rubbish!

We also have a new yellow melon,
We’ve had those the last couple of years, and I think they’re also called sunshine melon here, but they’re a specialty item - they’ll have a few, then they’re gone.

Honeydew is as common as cantaloupe here, but much harder to find a ripe one, it seems, unless you make sure to get a local one. Indiana, which is relatively close by, is a big melon-producing state, so we can usually do ok.

At some point, the stores around here will all be advertising “Indiana Melons!!!” - usually cantaloupe/muskmelon, but very big, and somewhat ribbed all around instead of smooth.

IMG_4542.jpeg

Tuttle Orchards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom