What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, fried fish!

I’ve eaten probably thousands of hush puppies in my life, and I’ve never dipped one in anything, or seen anyone dip one in anything.

No doubt, somebody somewhere has, but I’ve never encountered that. You just eat them the way they are alongside fried fish, coleslaw, potato salad, etc.
Oh ok? Bit of a disappointment, I thought mustard or ketchup or similar?
Ok I can adapt my serving options.
Ta.

Russ

Oh ok? Bit of a disappointment, I thought mustard or ketchup or similar?
Ok I can adapt my serving options.
Ta.

Russ
You should dip it in anything you like, that’s what makes the world an interesting place. Hell, pizza dipped in ranch dressing is very popular these days, so hush puppies and Japanese mayonnaise…why not?

All I ask is…eat a couple plain first, with some fried fish alongside, just to get the “original” experience before you New Zealandize it. :wink:

I wont . What do you serve with? I was thinking Japanese mayo??.

Russ

We usually eat them with fried or blackened fish or fried shrimp. I eat them plain, make sure they aren't overfried and dry, they should be just done but not still mushy in center. I usually fry 1 or 2 and cut them open to check and then cook the rest.

If we have fried shrimp, we usually have cocktail sauce. We make our own with ketchup, jarred horsradish, worchestershire sauce and lemon or lime juice, plus a bit of S and P.

If we have fish, I always make Recipe - Roasted Garlic Tartar Sauce . Craig LOVES this.

He sometimes dips his hushpuppies in the above.

Last edited:
I saw this at H-E-B, and had to try it. It was a little more expensive than my normal brand, but not too much. I have to say, it is really good.

IMG_2171 2.JPG

CD

Pomegranates from the evening market earlier this week. I don't think I've ever seen a pomegranate as large as the one on the right. It weighs 550 gms!

The "small" one is 360 gm.
They look fantastic! I love them and so wish I could grow then here. I guess I could try but the birds would probably eat them all.

Currently we are buying oranges for ฿100.00 for 5 kilogrammes. That's the equivalent of £0.50/kg.

There are around 8 oranges/kg.

I know what you're thinking. 5 funny coloured tomatoes right. What's so special about that?

Well, they are the first ripe tomatoes of the season from our tomato cage! (Possums and chickens love ripe tomatoes so they have to be protected from them).

20230210_194815.jpg

Well they were stunningly sweet. I tried 1 and put the other 4 in the kitchen and they vanished into thin air. That's the story he's telling me and sticking to it! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom