What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try not to buy anything in film plastic/prepackaged or those plastic string bags that never decompose.
I was a lot better about using them when Kroger had their Scan-Bag-Go feature going (which I loved more than life itself, so of course they ended it and didn’t replace it with a damn thing 😡).

When I was doing that, I had special bags that were made to fit in a standard cart here, so I’d grab an item off the shelf, scan it with the Kroger app, put it in my bag, and pay on my phone, all done, no unbagging and rescanning at a checkout or kiosk, and those special bags also came with mesh produce bags, so that’s where they stayed and I used them all the time.

Now, since I don’t have to have my own bags to shop, I forget them entirely about half the time, or I drive one car and they’re in the other, that sort of thing.

The cooler bag always goes shopping with us because of the distance we live from the supermarket (all veg, chilled and frozen stuff goes into them (we have 3)), plus I don't have a handbag, just a rucksack and I don't usually do the shopping. Mind you with the amount of loose stuff we buy, I don't think you'd want the number of mesh bags we have in your handbag. Lol. I try not to buy anything in film plastic/prepackaged or those plastic string bags that never decompose.

And Australia currently can't recycle thin single use plastic. One of the major recyclers for it got caught dumping it all in a very large derelict warehouse and was fined big time. It seems like they previously used to transport it all to China but China won't take it any more.
I have three mesh bags that are always on my handbag. But I very rarely buy fresh produce, only apples once per week and onions and garlic once every two weeks or so, I buy mostly frozen vegetables.

The cooler bag always goes shopping with us because of the distance we live from the supermarket (all veg, chilled and frozen stuff goes into them (we have 3)), plus I don't have a handbag, just a rucksack and I don't usually do the shopping. Mind you with the amount of loose stuff we buy, I don't think you'd want the number of mesh bags we have in your handbag. Lol. I try not to buy anything in film plastic/prepackaged or those plastic string bags that never decompose.

And Australia currently can't recycle thin single use plastic. One of the major recyclers for it got caught dumping it all in a very large derelict warehouse and was fined big time. It seems like they previously used to transport it all to China but China won't take it any more.

China stopped taking out recyclables, too. There was too much no recyclable stuff mixed in. Maybe the children working in the recycling plants couldn't tell the materials apart.

CD

What do you do with the leaves? I ask because I have a lemon tree in my garden.

I often cook with lemon leaves, I usually use them as a wrapper for fish rolls to bake in the oven, and they release a really wonderful smell and flavour on the fish. Other times I sauté them with butter or oil as a base for a pasta sauce or leave them like this and then remove them when serving the pasta.
They are also perfect for wrapping and grilling cheese - I suppose even vegetable cheese.
Or even shredded to put in biscuit dough or even in both vegetable and meat patties.

Hubby came home with this for me today.
My orange recipes require it!

20230124_085709.jpg

Ya know SatNavSaysStraightOn I have been looking for a replacement bottle of Siracha for months!
There was no shortage of choice here. 12 different ones before the list starts to go into Kewpie mayo combinations.

That one was $2.80 (AUD) ($1.97 USD) on offer half price. Most are from $5-$9 for 250-500g bottles.

Huy Fong sriracha is in every store here (that's the biggest brand in the US). AKA: Rooster Sauce, AKA: C--k Sauce (as in rooster).

View attachment 95475

CD

I just checked my fridge and I’ve got the smaller bottle. Now I have…rooster envy. 🤐

I have the big bottle. 😎

CD

Can i raise you an even bigger bottle?
All available in my store (but curiously in different isles!)

Screenshot_20230125_141904_Woolworths.jpg
Screenshot_20230125_141918_Woolworths.jpg
Screenshot_20230125_141846_Woolworths.jpg

I'm sure Yorky should be able to find an even bigger version though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom