What's the best cut of meat?

Am I the only member who can't see this attachment?
It pops up as a download for me, and since I don’t download something unless I know what it is ahead of time, I can’t see it by choice. I’m assuming I could view it after downloading it.

It pops up as a download for me, and since I don’t download something unless I know what it is ahead of time, I can’t see it by choice. I’m assuming I could view it after downloading it.

Yeah, its a download for me but I can't view it as a download.

Try Alt F then go to downloads.

I'm using a Mac. It downloads but I can't open it:

I'm a longtime fan of the Filet mignon steak!! At home, I like to start cooking it on top of the stove, cook it halfway, then finish it in the oven at 350 degrees until it's medium well (checked with a thermometer), then I melt 1 or 2 pats of butter on it. The only seasoning that I put on it is a little bit of garlic, a little bit of salt & pepper with 1 or 2 pinches of dry basil. That's it with some mashed or a baked potatoe & some broccoli. Good eating!! Hardly any fat on it, just a small marbling!! This is also the only steak that I eat at steakhouses!!

Last edited:
I used to think tenderloin was pointless, but then I saw a technique of slicing it thin, marinading, then putting them on skewers. Very good
I use a soy based marinade with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I let it sit in the marinade for several hours, then flip it over and continue for several more hours, then cook in a very hot cast iron skillet with butter. The marinade soaks through and gives it fantastic flavor. Ribeye barely needs anything but salt and pepper, IMO, though I will cook it in butter.

My husband likes to make a blue cheese and horseradish sauce for just about any cut of steak, not me!

Last edited:
I have a vacuum-sealing meat marinator & a tenderizer. The filet mignon doesn't need tenderizing that much, mainly because it is naturally tender, which is why i like it so much. But when I do it again, I may use the marinator with a little bit of marinade to see how it comes out. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have a vacuum-sealing meat marinator & a tenderizer. The filet mignon doesn't need tenderizing that much, mainly because it is naturally tender, which is why i like it so much. But when I do it again, I may use the marinator with a little bit of marinade to see how it comes out. :whistling:
View attachment 84539
View attachment 84540
I would be afraid that puncturing a good cut like filet mignon would make it so juices could escape easier. The only reason I use marinade is to add flavor, and I am careful to use a spatula or tongs and not a fork when turning steaks over.

I use a soy based marinade with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I let it sit in the marinade for several hours, then flip it over and continue for several more hours, then cook in a very hot cast iron skillet with butter. The marinade soaks through and gives it fantastic flavor. Ribeye barely needs anything but salt and pepper, IMO, though I will cook it in butter.

My husband likes to make a blue cheeese and horseradish sauce for just about any cut of steak, not me!

I love horseradish sauce with a good steak. Never have combined it with bleu cheese - something I'll try in the near future!

I would be afraid that puncturing a good cut like filet mignon would make it so juices could escape easier. The only reason I use marinade is to add flavor, and I am careful to use a spatula or tongs and not a fork when turning steaks over.

I don't want to use a puncturing tool on my beef. Introduces surface bacteria into the interior - but more likely if one buys pre-punctured "tenderized" meat. I also prefer my beef rare to medium rare, and GG said he likes his medium well, which will also make a difference. I actually can't picture filet mignon needing to be more tender than it already is - but maybe that boils (ahem) down to cooking times and temps??

One form of cooking beef that I've never had: Beef Wellington. I've watched videos on preparing it, but have yet to try.

It's on so few menus at restaurants I've been to, and when I've seen it, something else to date has already grabbed my attention. But I'd like to try it, even should I make the dish myself - after all, I love mustard and mushrooms!

I love horseradish sauce with a good steak. Never have combined it with bleu cheese - something I'll try in the near future!

I don't want to use a puncturing tool on my beef. Introduces surface bacteria into the interior - but more likely if one buys pre-punctured "tenderized" meat. I also prefer my beef rare to medium rare, and GG said he likes his medium well, which will also make a difference. I actually can't picture filet mignon needing to be more tender than it already is - but maybe that boils (ahem) down to cooking times and temps??
I think my mom used to have a meat mallet she used on thin cut round steaks to pound them out and make them tender. I've never done so. I too am in the medium rare camp (but not blue).

One form of cooking beef that I've never had: Beef Wellington. I've watched videos on preparing it, but have yet to try.

It's on so few menus at restaurants I've been to, and when I've seen it, something else to date has already grabbed my attention. But I'd like to try it, even should I make the dish myself - after all, I love mustard and mushrooms!
I don't like liver (even chicken or goose), so I would probably make a mushroom paste instead if I made it, but I have always wanted to do it!

Back
Top Bottom