What's the best cut of meat?

We or I buy whole fillets when in special and cut myself steaks and freeze in 6 packs. It's my preferred steak.
Porterhouse is my second choice. I have an order in wih my butcher mate for 2 fillets of it atm. My steaks are cooked blue.
We buy rump for casseroles, I make a dam good one as well.

Russ
If we all liked exactly the same cuts then there would be a shortage of some and some that no one would want to eat! Seems like it works out rather well.

My husband won't eat a rump roast, sirloin, etc. I like using those cuts in a pot roast or beef stew but he hates pot roast and only likes soups/stews in colder months.

I do like porterhouse, but it's just a lot of meat for one person so hubby and I would split that. I am not a huge fan of strip steaks, I usually throw most of that part and the bone in a crockpot to make tomato based pasta sauce.

If we all liked exactly the same cuts then there would be a shortage of some and some that no one would want to eat! Seems like it works out rather well.

My husband won't eat a rump roast, sirloin, etc. I like using those cuts in a pot roast or beef stew but he hates pot roast and only likes soups/stews in colder months.

I do like porterhouse, but it's just a lot of meat for one person so hubby and I would split that. I am not a huge fan of strip steaks, I usually throw most of that part and the bone in a crockpot to make tomato based pasta sauce.

I'm not sure Porterhouse is the same down-under as it is here. I don't remember, but I think rascal posted something different for Porterhouse. Maybe it was t-bone. I don't recall.

CD

Bare in mind I never had a steak u til I was around 19 years old. Since then I have the attitude I can buy the best so I do. But I still make a mean casserole with rump. We never even had rump as a kid.

Russ

Porterhouse is the opposite side to the fillet. You call it strip I think?

Russ

Yes. In the USA, porterhouse is both sides of the steak, filet and strip. It is similar to t-bone, but the filet side it bigger than on a t-bone.

That's why Jas said it is such a big steak. In the US, a porterhouse is a huge steak. It is typically considered a steak for two people.

CD

Yes. In the USA, porterhouse is both sides of the steak, filet and strip. It is similar to t-bone, but the filet side it bigger than on a t-bone.

That's why Jas said it is such a big steak. In the US, a porterhouse is a huge steak.

CD
Ours here are about 6 to 8 inches long. I dont know anything about the ones I have on order? Oh, and about 2 to 3 inches wide.

Russ

That's why Jas said it is such a big steak. In the US, a porterhouse is a huge steak. It is typically considered a steak for two people.

CD
When I was a teenager I could eat a whole one with a large baked potato, salad, bread, and still have room for dessert. That ship has long sailed!

Ours here are about 6 to 8 inches long. I dont know anything about the ones I have on order? Oh, and about 2 to 3 inches wide.

Russ
You mean 2 to 3 inches thick? I like a thicker steak for sure, but maybe only 1 and 1/2 inches thick. But yeah, like CD said, here it's got a strip on one side and a big piece of filet on the other, separated by a bone. Similar to a T-bone but often when I buy T-bones they hardly have any of the filet piece.

Which is why when I saw Black Angus porterhouse steaks on sale for $7.99 lb, I bought 6 packages!
1653010991189.png

You mean 2 to 3 inches thick? I like a thicker steak for sure, but maybe only 1 and 1/2 inches thick. But yeah, like CD said, here it's got a strip on one side and a big piece of filet on the other, separated by a bone. Similar to a T-bone but often when I buy T-bones they hardly have any of the filet piece.

Which is why when I saw Black Angus porterhouse steaks on sale for $7.99 lb, I bought 6 packages!
View attachment 85538
No that's wide 2 to 3 inches. I cut my steaks around an inch to 1 1/2 inches thick.
Russ

I
When I was a teenager I could eat a whole one with a large baked potato, salad, bread, and still have room for dessert. That ship has long sailed!
Normally serve my steaks with baked potato as well. Although I serve cut with a cross on top and opened up and sour cream on it. Plus other stuff.

Russ

I

Normally serve my steaks with baked potato as well. Although I serve cut with a cross on top and opened up and sour cream on it. Plus other stuff.

Russ
I make mashed potato casserole (AKA twice baked) with sour cream, butter, cheese, and topped with bacon. Yum.
No that's wide 2 to 3 inches. I cut my steaks around an inch to 1 1/2 inches thick.
Russ
Yeah, here the steaks are much bigger.

Tasty but tough. Thai rump beef for stew.

I'll sear the cubed beef quickly then part cook by simmering in gravy (in this case OXO) with fried onions for about 60 minutes. Then freeze it in portions.

After defrosting, I add diced carrots and simmer for 30 minutes then cubed potatoes and simmer for a further 30 minutes (or until cooked through).

If the weather is really cold (<15°C) I may add suet dumplings.

Back
Top Bottom