What's the best cut of meat?

Wow, I have seen a lot of recipes that call for liver pate!

Beef Wellington (((Wonderful))) Recipe - Food.com
Beef Wellington

I have never made it, obviously, but I have eaten it before...prepared by someone who used liver paste :headshake: If I do make it, I will be usingthe recipe you provided or similar!

Both the recipes you cite are from members of the public posting on websites, rather than from chefs or from tried and trusted sources. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing (after all, most of us here are just that!) but when it comes to classic recipes I reckon it pays to look to professionals first.

Both the recipes you cite are from members of the public posting on websites, rather than from chefs or from tried and trusted sources. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing (after all, most of us here are just that!) but when it comes to classic recipes I reckon it pays to look to professionals first.
Considering the one and only time I ever ate it the person who prepared it used liver, I just assumed that's how it was traditionally made. Never thought to look into it further, I just assumed I would find an alternative if I made it myself. I like the concept.

Classic Beef Wellington Recipe - Recipe - FineCooking
Beef Wellington

When I searched, most recipes called for pate, so apparently it's very popular.

Last edited:
I'm a longtime fan of the Filet mignon steak!! At home, I like to start cooking it on top of the stove, cook it halfway, then finish it in the oven at 350 degrees until it's medium well (checked with a thermometer), then I melt 1 or 2 pats of butter on it. The only seasoning that I put on it is a little bit of garlic, a little bit of salt & pepper with 1 or 2 pinches of dry basil. That's it with some mashed or a baked potatoe & some broccoli. Good eating!! Hardly any fat on it, just a small marbling!! This is also the only steak that I eat at steakhouses!!

View attachment 84527
View attachment 84528
Not too many steaks survive a med well preparation, but tenderloin probably tops the list so I can see why you like it. Cheers.

When I first met my DH, he would order his steak/meats cooked well done AND put A-1 sauce on it to boot!
:stop:
It didn't take very long of eating my cooking that I converted him :happy:
I got him to between med-rare and medium, that's saying something, oh, and no sauces thank you very much :giggle:

When I first met my DH, he would order his steak/meats cooked well done AND put A-1 sauce on it to boot!
:stop:
It didn't take very long of eating my cooking that I converted him :happy:
I got him to between med-rare and medium, that's saying something, oh, and no sauces thank you very much :giggle:
My husband liked medium rare, but he also put that horrendous A-1 sauce on. I refused to buy it and made my own soy-based marinades. He eventually adapted and now doesn't like A-1.

If it's a high quality cut, there's nothing better than a New York Strip steak. This is from Michael Symon's Roast in Detroit, before they closed. :cry:

o.jpg

But, not all New York Strip cuts are created equal. When I go to Texas Roadhouse - a very good national steak chain on this side of the pond - I order sirloin. For $10.99, you get a 6 ounce sirloin with 2 side dishes, and the steak quality is very good:

o.jpg

When I pay up to get their New York Strip, I'm disappointed by how fatty it is. I'll stick with the sirloin.

If it's a high quality cut, there's nothing better than a New York Strip steak. This is from Michael Symon's Roast in Detroit, before they closed. :cry:

View attachment 85506

But, not all New York Strip cuts are created equal. When I go to Texas Roadhouse - a very good national steak chain on this side of the pond - I order sirloin. For $10.99, you get a 6 ounce sirloin with 2 side dishes, and the steak quality is very good:

View attachment 85507

When I pay up to get their New York Strip, I'm disappointed by how fatty it is. I'll stick with the sirloin.

I only get the ribeye at Texas Roadhouse. I've never had a "bad" steak at TR, but ribeye is my kryptonite.

CD

We or I buy whole fillets when in special and cut myself steaks and freeze in 6 packs. It's my preferred steak.
Porterhouse is my second choice. I have an order in wih my butcher mate for 2 fillets of it atm. My steaks are cooked blue.
We buy rump for casseroles, I make a dam good one as well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom