Who still does Old-fashioned cooking?

My kitchen whizz is about 45? Years old. I have no idea where it came from? I suspect my mum gave it to my wife?
I use about 5 wooden spoons that are about 20 plus years old.
I still cook meals my late mum used to make growing up. But better seasoned.

Russ

As my grip isn't good anymore I’ll use any gadget that cuts down on laborious work with my hands.
This leads to the purchase of gadgets that I’ll trial and then take to the charity shop a year later when they don’t cut the mustard.

I used to use a mandolin with different blades including julienne but now I have an indispensable stick blender with a large easily dishwashered processor bowl that slices and juliennes in moments.
I’d use a julienne peeler for small amounts, I like the way you can avoid julienning the watery cucumber core with them.

In this world of modern conveniences, such as appliances, gadgets, & other things, who still likes & does old-fashioned cooking?
Difficult question, really, because I cook a lot. I regularly use a food processor (yesterday I made pesto and some falafel). I regularly use a spice grinder (lots of Indian food). I generally use my trusty Henkel's chef knife to cut, julienne, chop, slice and dice. I have got a mandoline, but the blade has dulled considerably and I can't seem to find a replacement. I don't do "sous vide" because I eat little or no meat. I don't do air fryers because most of the things I fry are very soft (falafel, vadas, pakoras,etc) and I don't cook in the microwave. I'd love to have a go at those "foam" things, and use a Benriner, just for the experience, but I can't justify the expense for something that might only be used a dozen times. I am old-fashioned in that I'm quite happy to make things from scratch - I make my own pastry, my own pasta, my own stock - no packets or ready-to-use, no stock cubes, no Hamburger Helpers. One big reason is that what's on offer here is very limited.

Even though I DO have a sous vide, I don't use it, mainly because it has to be paired with the phone, & I'm having a hard-as-hell time trying to do that!! I'm also having a hard time trying to pair my Vitamix blender to the phone because of the same problem, but I use it anyway. $450.00 is expensive enough to spend on a blender, so I use it anyway to take advantage of the amount of money spent on it. :whistling:

I suppose you can call me pretty old fashioned.
But I bought a teflon coated pan last year: That's pretty modern :)

I'm on solar, stand alone system, so I'm careful with how much electricity I use.
I do use a stick blender, a food processor (for large amounts) and a toaster occasionally.
I use my mortar & pestles very often
I cook on gas
I boil water in a nice big whistling kettle and for coffee I use an aeropress, French press or thermos can with filter holder and filter (and just pour hot water)

I have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker that's in one of the closets I used to make about 1/3 pot of coffee & would end up dumping it because I couldn't drink it all! Now with the k-cup pods, only one gets used for an 8-oz mug of coffee. Once used, it gets tossed in the trash. No more wasted coffee!! :whistling:
Yes, my Mr. Coffee is in my pantry too. If I have family gatherings of 10 or more I sometimes pull it out if my guests want coffee after dinner.

But my iCoffee is far superior to my Keurig. It uses a steam brew method that has a similar effect to the that of a French press with a smoother flavor but only makes 1 cup at a time.

I actually have an old-school coffee percolator that I used in my camper. That thing makes great coffee. Down side is that it doesn't do small amounts of coffee. When I was camping, I would make a pot and share it with my camping friends. Now, it is in a cabinet waiting to be used again.

CD

My kitchen whizz is about 45? Years old. I have no idea where it came from? I suspect my mum gave it to my wife?
I use about 5 wooden spoons that are about 20 plus years old.
I still cook meals my late mum used to make growing up. But better seasoned.

Russ
What's a kitchen whizz? Do you have a pic of it?

mainly because it has to be paired with the phone, & I'm having a hard-as-hell time trying to do that!! I'm also having a hard time trying to pair my Vitamix blender to the phone
Why do these items need to be paired to a phone? Can't you just plug them in?

Back
Top Bottom