Your mental health

My exam will be on the 09.09.
Have to make a three course menu. Fish terrine, salad and shrimp as starter. Piglet loin, thyme sauce, Kohlrabi, carrots, Brokkoli and Polenta as main. Chocolate cream and caramelized nectarines as dessert.
You will kick ass and take names.

Some of you know that I'm having a hard time with my physical health at the moment and as such my mental health is also getting hard hit yet again.

Last week I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my neck. There is a lot of bony growths on my vertebrae trapping various nerve roots and causing me constant issues with my arms yet again. At night my arms are going numb, as is 1 of my legs. I've also now got constant pins and needles in both hands and fingers and occasionally shooting pains (a cross between pins and needles and an electric shock) in my right arm.

The reason is obvious sadly. You don't need to be able to read CT scans to know that the human body is meant to be symmetrical.

A nerve root at C6 & C7, controlling my arms and various sympathetic nervous system functions such as body temperature control & sweating, runs through that lack of 'gap' on the left. This is just 1 of 3 places where the nerve root is being compromised, 2 of then are this bad, 1 still has some space. Without surgery I'll loose control of both arms, and several other important bodily functions but at least this time it's "only" a nerve root affect and not the spinal cord itself.

Unfortunately they are the same vertebrae I had life saving surgery on 4 years ago (though not actually related to that issue), so I need to stay with the same neurosurgeon who isn't cheap. (The technology used to fuse the neck isn't yet commonly used because it's still relatively new.) The difference between what insurance & Medicare meet use known as the gap payment. Last time it was over $16,000 along with 4 months in hospital, 6 weeks in another state 800km away from home.

I have another appointment to see him at the start of next month when I'll find out what's in store for the next stage in my ongoing health problems. Until then I've a whole range of other tests and consultants appointments etc.

So if I'm a little absent, short tempered or just 'moody' I'll apologize now. I'm having another tough time at the moment and things are not likely to improve until after surgery. And unfortunately, it is also very likely to reoccur multiple times for the rest of my life.

My doctor has also told me he thinks it unlikely I'll be able to return to work and should look at a disability pension and NDIS. Not what I wanted to hear to be honest.

Some of you know that I'm having a hard time with my physical health at the moment and as such my mental health is also getting hard hit yet again.

Last week I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my neck. There is a lot of bony growths on my vertebrae trapping various nerve roots and causing me constant issues with my arms yet again. At night my arms are going numb, as is 1 of my legs. I've also now got constant pins and needles in both hands and fingers and occasionally shooting pains (a cross between pins and needles and an electric shock) in my right arm.

The reason is obvious sadly. You don't need to be able to read CT scans to know that the human body is meant to be symmetrical.

View attachment 89948

A nerve root at C6 & C7, controlling my arms and various sympathetic nervous system functions such as body temperature control & sweating, runs through that lack of 'gap' on the left. This is just 1 of 3 places where the nerve root is being compromised, 2 of then are this bad, 1 still has some space. Without surgery I'll loose control of both arms, and several other important bodily functions but at least this time it's "only" a nerve root affect and not the spinal cord itself.

Unfortunately they are the same vertebrae I had life saving surgery on 4 years ago (though not actually related to that issue), so I need to stay with the same neurosurgeon who isn't cheap. (The technology used to fuse the neck isn't yet commonly used because it's still relatively new.) The difference between what insurance & Medicare meet use known as the gap payment. Last time it was over $16,000 along with 4 months in hospital, 6 weeks in another state 800km away from home.

I have another appointment to see him at the start of next month when I'll find out what's in store for the next stage in my ongoing health problems. Until then I've a whole range of other tests and consultants appointments etc.

So if I'm a little absent, short tempered or just 'moody' I'll apologize now. I'm having another tough time at the moment and things are not likely to improve until after surgery. And unfortunately, it is also very likely to reoccur multiple times for the rest of my life.

My doctor has also told me he thinks it unlikely I'll be able to return to work and should look at a disability pension and NDIS. Not what I wanted to hear to be honest.
I am very sorry my dear, and also that I've been inadequate in responding to your situation. I can just imagine what it's like, and it's hitting me hard in the feels. I am very sorry to hear you are having to deal with this for the rest of your life. Of course this affects your mental health, it's quite a lot to take in. I hope you can get some counselling? This is very hard to deal with, and I don't know how to be supportive enough. I didn't know how to deal with my own prospects a while ago too. Mine have improved, but yours haven't and unfortunately I don't know what I can say to help you. I hope you get good support from those around you.

If you're moody or absent, that's totally relatable. I definitely understand. I hope some more members offer you their support as well :hug:

View attachment 89948

That's absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

So if I'm a little absent, short tempered or just 'moody' I'll apologize now.
Completely understandable, given the situation.

I’m sure I’m not alone is wishing there was something more I could do to offer real, practical help. I know you’ve made huge adjustments in your lifestyle over the years, due to your health, and it sounds like that’s never really going to change for you. I’m so sorry for that, as I’m someone who looks for consistency in things around me, and I can’t imagine having all that medically-related turmoil churning away.

Please, just share as you feel you need to, even that little bit can help, and I’d echo what Windigo suggested about pursing some counseling to help deal with all this.

As to the disability pension…all I can say to that is, while it’s not ideal, please make use of it, as having that cushion can be something of a stress reliever in itself. I’m sure no one ever plans on having to need that, but I’m glad it’s there for you, should you decide to apply for it.

Take care. 🫂

Back
Top Bottom