The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Butter

Just curious as to why about the butter chicken, other than the name, since there's really not that much butter in it. Have to admit when I first saw a recipe for it was surprised it was even called butter chicken.

Just curious as to why about the butter chicken, other than the name, since there's really not that much butter in it. Have to admit when I first saw a recipe for it was surprised it was even called butter chicken.

I think its the butter plus cream which differentiates it from other curries. According to Wiki:

The dish has its roots in Moti Mahal Daryaganj. It was developed by three Indians, Kundan Lal Jaggi, Kundan Lal Gujral and Thakur Dass all Punjabi Hindu restaurateurs[1][7][8][9] who were the founders of Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India.[10][11][12][13][14][15]

The dish was created by the three partners at their restaurant in Delhi in the 1950s.[1][2] The dish was made "By Chance" by mixing the leftover chicken in a tomato gravy, rich in butter and cream.[16][17][8]

In Australia and New Zealand, it is also a common pie filling.[18][19][20]

There is no vouching for the accuracy of this! Is it really used as a pie filling in NZ @rascal?

Anyway, it's not quite the same as @MypinchofItaly's recipe!

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/anchovy-butter.14120/
IMG_0991a.jpg

I have just made this to chill for tonight, to go with a salmon dish.

The finished product:
IMG_0992a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom