What did you cook/eat today (April 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep fried poached egg in breadcrumbs for the The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs. This is a revelation! I'm sure I can make this again to look more elegant - but I have to say that its a dish that is better than the sum of its parts.

fullsizeoutput_2fec.jpeg

Beautiful! Did you make them?

Yes, thanks.

Next time I have to put in a bigger chunk of soup and less filling. And I need bigger wonton wrappers.
They were good, but they were really just very moist dumplings, not soup dumplings.

Last edited:
We went out furniture shopping, then went out for Tex-Mex. It was terrible. This was the last straw. This place used to be decent, but 2 extreme stinkers in a row prompted me to write this Yelp review:

Worst Tex-Mex that I've ever had in my life.
It started off OK as the hostess let us sit in a larger booth since the place was empty on a Monday at 6PM. Then she brought us decent chips with a tiny bowl of salsa. End of the good part.
The hostess turned out to also be our waitress. After bringing us drinks, she disappeared; no chance to ask for more salsa or drinks.
When our food came out, the server guy mentioned that the rice and beans were served family style. Each of our dinners came with it, but there was only 1 small bowl of each, about 1 serving in total.
Now, my enchiladas were terrible, each containing about a half teaspoon of chicken, and the tortillas were bland and dry.
My son's floppy burrito had no rice or beans in it (was he supposed to use the serving we were sharing?), and again, about a teaspoon of chicken in the whole bland and stale tortilla along with a crappy cheese sauce.
My wife ordered fish tacos, but requested soft tacos instead of hard shells, so they only brought her 2 instead of the 3 listed on the menu.
When the hostess/waitress finally showed up again, we asked for another pittance of rice and beans, and some sour cream.
It came out about 15 minutes later, after we were finished with our tiny portions of food.
Worse still, I've had better tasting enchiladas and and burritos from the freezer section of the supermarket. Even the diet freezer section. I'm not kidding.
Save your money and go to Taco Bell if you really need to have Tex-Mex.

I hate that when you go out expecting a nice meal and end up with crapola. I had a quiet day doing paperwork then went to my local working mans club and yakker with the locals while watching nz battle out s draw with England cricket team. Then home to leftover ham from the other day, ham and mustard and cheese and tomato. Man it was good.

Russ

The same happened to us the last time we went to an Italian place that used to be excellent. Never again. Good thing we found another place almost directly across the street.

Yes, thanks.

Next time I have to put in a bigger chunk of soup and less filling. And I need bigger wonton wrappers.
They were good, but they were really just very moist dumplings, not soup dumplings.

We had a Chinese Dumpling Cookalong last time round - you would have been a star! What is the 'soup' filling?

We had a Chinese Dumpling Cookalong last time round - you would have been a star! What is the 'soup' filling?

It is a cube of solidified (gelatinous) stock. The other filling was minced pork, onion, and leeks that was briefly stir fried. I also freeze the cubes of soup to allow for more time to make the dumplings, also preventing it from squishing out as you bunch them up.

You lay down the wonton skin, place the cooled meat filling on top, then a cube of soup filling. The trick is to wet the edges of the wonton skin, then bunch it up as you turn it. Mine aren't as pretty or uniform as a restaurant, but practice makes perfect.

I hate that when you go out expecting a nice meal and end up with crapola.

My Yelp review got a quick response from their corporate office last night (I hadn't realized it was a chain restaurant).

They asked me to contact them directly so they can make it right. About the only thing I'll accept is a refund. If they try to give me a discount for a future visit, I'm going to give it to a really smelly homeless guy along with $10 and a ride there.

It is a cube of solidified (gelatinous) stock. The other filling was minced pork, onion, and leeks that was briefly stir fried. I also freeze the cubes of soup to allow for more time to make the dumplings, also preventing it from squishing out as you bunch them up.

You lay down the wonton skin, place the cooled meat filling on top, then a cube of soup filling. The trick is to wet the edges of the wonton skin, then bunch it up as you turn it. Mine aren't as pretty or uniform as a restaurant, but practice makes perfect.

I'll have to remember your freezing trick. That was a big problem when I was making them, the filling was liquifying at room temp.

To expound on the filling, I used pigs feet, pig leg bones, and skin only, cooking it for several hours, reducing, letting sit overnight in fridge to defat, then warming back up and pouring broth into a jelly roll pan to refrigerate overnight, then cut into small cubes.

Last edited:
My Yelp review got a quick response from their corporate office last night (I hadn't realized it was a chain restaurant).

They asked me to contact them directly so they can make it right. About the only thing I'll accept is a refund. If they try to give me a discount for a future visit, I'm going to give it to a really smelly homeless guy along with $10 and a ride there.

You know that's what they are going to offer you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom