What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What recipe do you use for your sauce/oil base?

Hi @Rocklobster. Usually more method than recipe.

I've posted up my dan dan noodle recipe

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/dan-dan-noodles.11403/

We live a couple of hours drive from any Asian markets so I stock up on sauces and things when I get the opportunity. The major supermarket chains stock a lot of stuff these days too thankfully.

Kikkomans soy must have been the only one available in Sydney for many years as it was all we ever saw growing up. My preference now is Pearl River Bridge light soy sauce. I buy Squid brand fish sauce. There is one ingredient I always have on hand for Asian cooking that we love but that isn't commonly seen here in Oz at least
IMG_0176.JPG
I use the crispy prawn chilli in oil mixed with light soy as a dressing for noodle dishes, or in nasi or as a dipping sauce for dumplings.

So a lot of my dishes are me looking at what's in the crisper, pantry & freezer and going from there. Nothing is ever exactly the same twice. Great home cook, terrible chef. LoL.

Sunday's dinner was the last of the goulash I froze, Monday's was a fry up, and Tuesday's was sweet potato jackets, black bean curry (made with the stock left over from the imam bayildi) and salad

I got around to the gammon finally. With fried mashed potatoes, fried egg, shiitakes, cauliflower cheese, pickled onions and English mustard.
It's funny that I'm conditioned to think of these things together as a breakfast, but I'd certainly be quite happy to enjoy this any time of day. Those are duck eggs, right?

Monday night - boiled gulf shrimp - a soup pot of water - highly seasoned with lots of salt, crushed red pepper and Zattaran's liquid crab boil. Chunks of onions, carrots and celery. A pod of garlic and whole creminni mushrooms. Boiled until the veggies were tender. Added the shrimp - head off, shell on. Cooked for just a few minutes - the water did not even return to a boil.

Tuesday - shrimp salad with the left over boiled shrimp, mixed greens, garden tomatoes and pickled okra. I put some Dijon, several cloves of garlic from the boil and a drizzle of EVOO in the blender and gave it a wiz. That was the dressing.

Yes I am still harvesting tomatoes. We have had only one heavy frost and covered the garden boxes. I will have to cover them again tomorrow or Friday. I will also harvest any fruit showing even a little color. Watching the weather closely. Cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage are heading up nicely.

@Yorky Those eggs are so beautiful. That deep orange color is amazing.

It's funny that I'm conditioned to think of these things together as a breakfast

:happy: G is the same way. I have a hard time convincing him that breakfast is not just for breakfast. I can eat breakfast any time of the day.

@morning glory

OOPS - miss spelled

zat.jpg

For small batches of boiled shrimp or crawfish we use the liquid. For large boils we use both the liquid and dry. LOTS of salt. I add the salt first. The water should taste like the sea. Then the other seasonings. In Louisiana you will usually see small potatoes and corn on the cob with the other veggies. This was last minute so I used what was in the house. Another thing we did not have was French bread - slathered with butter. Squeeze the garlic onto the bread. Many folks like to make complicated dipping sauces. I like simple melted butter with just a drop of Tabasco.

@morning glory

OOPS - miss spelled

View attachment 11940

For small batches of boiled shrimp or crawfish we use the liquid. For large boils we use both the liquid and dry. LOTS of salt. I add the salt first. The water should taste like the sea. Then the other seasonings. In Louisiana you will usually see small potatoes and corn on the cob with the other veggies. This was last minute so I used what was in the house. Another thing we did not have was French bread - slathered with butter. Squeeze the garlic onto the bread. Many folks like to make complicated dipping sauces. I like simple melted butter with just a drop of Tabasco.

Its a whole different world over there! :D I just looked up what was in it:

WATER, POLYSORBATE 80, EXTRACTIVES OF: RED PEPPER, BAY, CLOVE, BLACK PEPPER, THYME, MARJORAM AND ARTIFICIAL SPICE FLAVORS.

What, I wonder, are artificial spice flavours?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom