What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made Aushak, kind of a winter meal, but was in the mood and I so love the herbs in this meal!

IMG_0504.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Made Aushak, kind of a winter meal, but was in the mood and I so love the herbs in this meal!

View attachment 23790

OK - I learned this was an Afghan dish. One description says:

Thin-skinned dumplings are stuffed with a spicy scallion filling and served with garlicky yogurt and keema, a ground meat sauce seasoned with ginger and coriander.

It sounds so delicious. Did you make the dumplings from scratch?

Ottolenghi is interesting and always packs in flavour. I have a couple of his books.

Which of his books would you recommend? I went over to Amazon to check them out, and while I know I am not interested in the dessert book, and am probably very interested in Jerusalem: A Cookbook (and have been thinking about that one for some time), what's your take? .

'Jerusalem' is good I believe although I don't have it but - I know someone who does and have looked through it. I have 'Ottolenghi the Cookbook' and 'Plenty More'. 'Simple' was the prize in our last Prize Challenge!

Last edited:
Today's food: Omelet with lots of cabbage, some Monterey Jack cheese, a bit of radish. Ground pepper.
Lunch: at a Japanese restaurant down in Connecticut: Tuna avocado salad with arugula and cuke and daikon radish. A cucumber/eel roll, and a roll with yellowtail and jalapeno. More veggies on the plate.
Dinner is going to be chicken drumsticks with balsamic vinegar, garlic, ground pepper, cumin. I'm actually down here in my old state for a concerted push to do housework and sorting on my old house so I can sell the blasted thing - and there's no real kitchen implements here any more. Nothing fancy to eat in house, just functional.

OK - I learned this was an Afghan dish. One description says:

It sounds so delicious. Did you make the dumplings from scratch?

So, this is my recipe. I went to an Afghani restaurant in Baltimore and had this dish for the first time....many years ago and found a few recipes and over the years I have changed/added/tweaked and this is my rendition and what I currently use, but as you can see I am still 'tweaking'. So, yes I buy the won-ton wrappers and make my own dumplings. If you go out to a traditional Afghani restaurant they make the wrapper from scratch......that is more time that I have in the kitchen and the won-ton wrappers you can buy at most grocery shops are pretty comparable to the texture of homemade. It is a delicious meal. I love the meat sauce! You wouldn't think that just adding coriander to a red meat sauce would make such a delicious change, but it is amazing. And adding just salt and garlic to yogurt is also crazy delicious and can be used in other applications.

MOD EDIT :I've moved the actual recipe to a new thread which can be found here
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/aushak.14786/#post-148582

Last edited by a moderator:
We went out tonight to a new Mexican (Mayan) place. Our new favorite. A bit of a drive, but worth it. They make guacamole tableside to order/made to your specs. We had a corn salsa as well. Their complimentary salsa was good. Craig asked for some spicy. It was HOLY SH....! For me when I tried just a tiny dip of a point of a chip. He liked it though. I had pork belly tacos. He had sour orange marinated pork fajitas that came out sizzling and remained that way for quite a while. Both dishes came with refried black beans and Mexican rice. Best refried black beans I've ever had. We brought home a piece of flan to split. Craig had draft Mexican beer and I had a couple of tequila mojitos. They were fantastic. I usually only have 1 drink when we go out, but I couldn't resist another.

Breakfast this morning ...

Needs little introduction. The syrup is grape molasses (homemade). Hubby enjoyed the first lot that much that whilst grapes are cheap (AUD $3.50 per kilo, so roughly £1.50-1.75 per kilo) that I've got a third batch to make up this week. 2kg of grapes is making roughly 400ml of grape molasses which will keep us going for a good few months.

_20190420_135248.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom