Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

I guess any retro foods to me that I miss would be something you're not used to where you are. I can't think of that many either, most are still available under different brand names that have switched over the years.

I do miss Milky way, which are different from American milky way. They were just a soft nougat bar with chocolate around them here. No caramel layer on top of the nougat, those bars are called 'Mars' here. They still sell Mars, but Milky way no longer.
View attachment 87072

And a type of licorice made with Arabic gum (the highest quality ingredient for licorice) that was discontinued years ago due to only distinguished consumers liking them due to it's specific flavor. I still miss that, it was the best licorice ever. I can't even find a picture of it because it's been so long. It was called 'Venco Darq'.

o4L._SY606_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SX380SY606SH20_.jpg

Same maker, but different product?

You have me laughing, because I must have this argument with people once a week IRL, and I'm always saying this. For example:

"You can't judge a Big Mac against a gourmet burger made from the highest quality beef, topped with garden-fresh fixings and homemade condiments on a fresh-baked bun! Most days, I'd still take the Big Mac! Why?! Because a Big Mac IS A THING UNTO ITSELF!!!"

:laugh:
I didn't have a "Big Mac" until I was probably in my early twenties. Sorry, I compared them to Mom's or Dad's homemade burgers and loathe those things. And the parental burgers weren't necessarily "gourmet". Hand-formed, yes. But just regular supermarket ground beef.

A Big Mac is a thing unto itself, perhaps. And it can stay there.

I didn't have a "Big Mac" until I was probably in my early twenties. Sorry, I compared them to Mom's or Dad's homemade burgers and loathe those things. And the parental burgers weren't necessarily "gourmet". Hand-formed, yes. But just regular supermarket ground beef.

Agreed.

When my dad cooked burgers on the grill (bbq), they started as raw beef patties, and were overcooked into dry, almost round meatballs. When I had my first Big Mac, it was actually quite good, in comparison.

CD

I remembered something I must add to this thread: Li-Cungo tea! This used to be a brand of black tea that came from Mozambique. It was really popular with people in Portugal who came from the former colonies in Africa, everyone I know whose past is connected with Africa remembers drinking this tea. Growing up this was a staple in our house: on Sundays when my dad was home, we would go for a walk after lunch, then return home to a snack of Li-Cungo tea and bread. It's the most delicious tea I've ever had (probably my childhood memory is affected by the fact that my dad poured generous amounts of sugar in our tea). Years ago I went into a specialty tea shop looking for Li-Cungo, but the seller told me it's no longer made. He sold another tea from the same region of Mozambique, but it doesn't taste even remotely like Li-Cungo 😕
1666289497861.png

Back
Top Bottom