Recipe Asparagus with Truffle Oil and Black Bean Aquafaba Miso Mayonnaise

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:44 PM
This mayonnaise is vegan and made from bean water (aquafaba) - the liquid from tinned beans. I used black bean aquafaba which gives the mayonnaise a pinkish mauve colour which I rather like (for a white mayonnaise you can use chick pea water). The white miso adds a savoury tang to the mayonnaise which acts as a perfect counterpoint to the sweet sulphurous asparagus with truffle oil. The mayonnaise will keep for a few days, covered, in the fridge.

fullsizeoutput_4a7d.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
10 -14 asparagus spears (trimmed)
50 ml black bean water
Approx. 200ml vegetable oil
2 tsp white miso, loosened with a little bean water
Salt to taste
1 x hard boiled egg
A few fronds of bronze fennel (substitute dill if you can’t find fennel)
Truffle oil

Method

1. Place the bean water in a beaker and blend with a stick blender until if froths slightly. Add the oil in a steady stream, blending as you go. Once the consistency is as you like add the miso and blend. Add salt to taste.
  2. Finely chop the egg and push through the holes of a draining spoon or colander with small holes. Use the back of a spoon to push the egg through the holes to create egg ‘congetti'. You don’t have to do this, you could use it simply finely chopped.
  3. Poach the asparagus in water for a few minutes until tender. Drain and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
  4. Arrange the asparagus on the serving plates and using a pastry brush, paint each spear with truffle oil.
  5. Sprinkle the egg ‘confetti’ over and add a few fennel fronds. Serve with the mayonnaise.
fullsizeoutput_4aa6.jpeg

Last edited:
This mayonnaise is vegan and made from bean water (aquafaba) - the liquid from tinned beans.
What an excellent idea! I've been using the liquid from cans of beans as part of the stock when I've made chili, for example, but this is a good reason to reserve it if I might have otherwise thrown it out.

What an excellent idea! I've been using the liquid from cans of beans as part of the stock when I've made chili, for example, but this is a good reason to reserve it if I might have otherwise thrown it out.

Its a well-known vegan trick - but I've not seen it made with black bean water before.

Back
Top Bottom