Recipe Bakalar na bijelo (Salt cod white stew)

I did a bit of roaming on the internet and plundered ideas from various versions of this dish. So this is an adaptation of the above recipe. I cooked the fish for 30 minutes after soaking for three days (change water each day). I cooked the potatoes in the water in which the fish was cooked. I then cooked the shredded cod in a pan with olive oil, slivers of garlic, white wine, bay leaf, crushed red peppercorns and lemon peel for about 15 minutes, adding the potatoes at the very end to just heat through.

The salt cod I had was already skinned. Maybe this was why it didn't thicken the sauce?

The resulting dish is surprisingly light with a good fishy flavour and not at all salty. In fact I had to add salt to balance the sauce. The potatoes cooked in the fish water were absolutely delicious!

I did a bit of roaming on the internet and plundered ideas from various versions of this dish. So this is an adaptation of the above recipe. I cooked the fish for 30 minutes after soaking for three days (change water each day). I cooked the potatoes in the water in which the fish was cooked. I then cooked the shredded cod in a pan with olive oil, slivers of garlic, white wine, bay leaf, crushed red peppercorns and lemon peel for about 15 minutes, adding the potatoes at the very end to just heat through.

The salt cod I had was already skinned. Maybe this was why it didn't thicken the sauce?

The resulting dish is surprisingly light with a good fishy flavour and not at all salty. In fact I had to add salt to balance the sauce. The potatoes cooked in the fish water were absolutely delicious!

View attachment 61005

View attachment 61006
That looks stunning! The fish flakes look tender, well done! I am so happy it worked out, of course variations are welcome. Could one taste the lemon peel? I find it a brilliant idea.

Could one taste the lemon peel? I find it a brilliant idea.

Absolutely - it flavours the sauce. Its thinly pared lemon zest really (as I think you can see in the photo) which you don't have to eat.

I'd be interested in Orangeapron's view regarding the sauce not thickening, given that the salt cod was 'skinless'.

Absolutely - it flavours the sauce. Its thinly pared lemon zest really (as I think you can see in the photo) which you don't have to eat.

I'd be interested in Orangeapron's view regarding the sauce not thickening, given that the salt cod was 'skinless'.
I'd written a very different reply to you, but then I did some research about this recipe, and realized some things I did not before. Now have to say you did a very good interpretation of it. I also found the recipe doesn't look for the emulsion I told you about. I have seen a variation that mixes everything cooked and mashing it with the broth or even milk, doing a kind of paté very very similar to the "brandade", maybe is that the reason of the "shaking" , mixing all in the pot while you are mashing it. But I haven't seen anything about shaking and sauce.
I have to admit that when I readed about shaking, cod and olive oil, I thought the recipe was looking for that, but It doesn't. Actually is almost a soup. It was my fault.

The changes or things you added, they are very appropriate and round: fresh herbs, the pared lemon zest and dried pepper flakes, make the dish more fresh and even more mediterranean while enrich the colours too. In fact adding those ingredients does make a very interesting thing ; this recipe would work also perfectly cold, for summer
What makes this misunderstanding interesting and funny, is that we made a new recipe without knowing it . I have a piece of cod, and this week I'll try this recipe combining it with the emulsion one, It's perfectly doable, and ingredients combine really good. Maybe I can make a vid If my daughter helps me filming it.
Greetings and congratulations for the result

Last edited:
What makes this misunderstanding interesting and funny, is that we made a new recipe without knowing it . I have a piece of cod, and this week I'll try this recipe combining it with the emulsion one, It's perfectly doable, and ingredients combine really good. Maybe I can make a vid If my daughter helps me filming it.
Greetings and congratulations for the result

Thank you. I'll be fascinated to see your video if you get around to it. The red pepper, by the way, wasn't pepper flakes but crushed red peppercorns (which are not a true pepper at all) which have a slightly floral note. I think chilli pepper flakes could also work here.

Red peppercorns

Gorgeous! I researched a tiny bit too...it says those are the same as pepper(black) as in salt and pepper just different stages...now you wrote the Latin...perfect!

The red peppercorns I'm using aren't peppercorns at a different stage but a completely different thing.

Red / Pink Peppercorns

Red Peppercorns are so called in Europe, in Brazil where they have evolved they are called Pink Peppercorns
To alter your reality further Pink Peppercorns are not related to pepper from India, they are related to the Cashew Family, I know! It blew my mind
As they have a peppery flavour the name was made and stuck ever since
Red Pepper has a typical berry flavour of high berry fruit, when used as the pepper flavour in food or as a mix with other pepper these red peppercorns provide wonderful overtone of fruity pepper

Red Peppercorns

There is such a thing as a red peppercorn from the Indian piper nigrum which is indeed a stage of ripening of the green peppercorn. Its rarely found as most ripe berries are dried and sold as the black peppercorns that we know. You can see below that the leaves are very different.

1618331644669.png

The red peppercorns I'm using aren't peppercorns at a different stage but a completely different thing.

Red Peppercorns

There is such a thing as a red peppercorn from the Indian piper nigrum which is indeed a stage of ripening of the green peppercorn. Its rarely found as most ripe berries are dried and sold as the black peppercorns that we know. You can see below that the leaves are very different.

View attachment 61180
Oh how stunning! Did not research the Latin name yet but will. That should be my first stop. Thank you for clearing it out.

I have those berries, I have them in a grinder mixed with black pepper. They also work very good to the eye. I will try with smoked red pepper flakes.
Today I found a very nice fresh cod in the market, and I took this picture:
1618336691911.jpg

Last edited:
They also work very good to the eye. I will try with smoked red pepper flakes.
Yes, beautiful pops of colour! For example like in MorningGlory's photo...
There are smoked too? Lovely.

Wow, I have never seen a whole cod with head,face and all...impressive fish!
Would you say these were 60-70 cm long? I read they can be up to 120 cm...maybe not all...of course...

Yes, beautiful pops of colour! For example like in MorningGlory's photo...
There are smoked too? Lovely.

Wow, I have never seen a whole cod with head,face and all...impressive fish!
Would you say these were 60-70 cm long? I read they can be up to 120 cm...maybe not all...of course...
I was talking about smoked dried pepper, the one is used here to make paprika, not grain.
And yes, those cods were around 60cm long, and as you said you can get bigger ones. Good eye.
Escamas-pimiento-seco-ahumado-de-la-Vera.jpeg

I was talking about smoked dried pepper, the one is used here to make paprika, not grain.
And yes, those cods were around 60cm long, and as you said you can get bigger ones. Good eye.View attachment 61184
Well thank you!

Oh yes! Like this one, I use ground (molido), and you plan to use flakes(hojuelas)? These are of Google translate, they might be wrong😁

Ah the smoked aroma is so attractive...a little bit dark...and it goes into two directions, the paprika scent and the smoked...

Back
Top Bottom