CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:22 PM
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups quality white wine vinegar
3/4 cups beer - dark or medium, just whatever flavor you prefer
3 ounces apple juice
8 ounces Mexican cane sugar (unprocessed cane sugar juice reduced to a thick syrup then dried in molds, very dense and hard, color similar to dark brown sugar)
1/2 large yellow onion, halved
1 medium clove garlic,halved
2 juniper berries
2 allspice berries
2 whole cloves
4 Szechuan peppercorns (can substitute black or mix)
1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 medium bay leaf
1 tsp kosher or sea salt
4.5 ounces yellow mustard seeds
4.5 ounces brown mustard seeds
A 1 quart glass canning jar or apothacary jar.
NOTE: The Mexican cane sugar is used because it has a very deep and rich caramelized flavor. You can substitute brown sugar, but use a bit less as it's much sweeter than the cane sugar.

Directions
Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT mustard seeds, in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes is up, turn off heat and let steep for 1 hour.

Coarsely grind the seeds and place into the jar. Strain the liquid to remove solids and pour into the canning jar. Cover by just sitting the lid on top or with a paper towel and let cool. Place ring on jar or lock down lid, shake well, and let sit at room temperature overnight. Mixture should thicken. If it doesn't thicken enough, pour mixture into a blender and whiz until consistency you desire. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks

Mustard will keep up to 6 months in refrigerator. You can also divide mustard up into small glass canning jars and water bath can at a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.

2019-07-15 16.59.44.jpg

It filled up a quart Ball canning jar, and I do mean filled up. I need to take another picture. I decided to put it in the blender yesterday because it wasn't thickening the way I thought it should. We apparently didn't grind the seeds quite enough as Craig wanted it grainy.

I'm not sure what beer he used so he'll have to answer that, but I think any decent beer-flavored beer (i.e., not a fruit or citrus flavored one) would be good. It just depends on whether you want an ale or a lager. I'm not fond of lagers at all so he wouldn't have used that. My tastes run to hefeweizens on the rare occasions I drink beer.

This weekend, I'll probably warm it up and water bath can some of it cause that's a lot of mustard. The original recipe we were working from, tweaked it some, used 9 ounces each of the seeds and made 8 cups of mustard. I ordered bulk bags of the mustard seed from Amazon because it was going to get pretty pricey otherwise.

After blenderizing

2019-07-17 11.18.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 29701

It filled up a quart Ball canning jar, and I do mean filled up. I need to take another picture. I decided to put it in the blender yesterday because it wasn't thickening the way I thought it should. We apparently didn't grind the seeds quite enough as Craig wanted it grainy.

I'm not sure what beer he used so he'll have to answer that, but I think any decent beer-flavored beer (i.e., not a fruit or citrus flavored one) would be good. It just depends on whether you want an ale or a lager. I'm not fond of lagers at all so he wouldn't have used that. My tastes run to hefeweizens on the rare occasions I drink beer.

This weekend, I'll probably warm it up and water bath can some of it cause that's a lot of mustard. The original recipe we were working from, tweaked it some, used 9 ounces each of the seeds and made 8 cups of mustard. I ordered bulk bags of the mustard seed from Amazon because it was going to get pretty pricey otherwise.

After blenderizing

View attachment 29700

It looks fantastic. Great photos.

Back
Top Bottom