SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:56 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
We've just had another of those really hot days and combined with the smoke problems, I've not been too well or able to do much at all. So when hubby spotted this recipe I thought why not? After all, the only thing that needed cooking was the brown rice and I could use the microwave for that. And we were both very pleasantly surprised by this soup. It is really good and we are having it again this next week as a result.

You can make this one as spicy hot, garlicy or gingery as you want, or not. You do need to make it up immediately before serving, so make it whilst the rice is cooking. I did use plain tap water for the first try and this left us with a lukewarm soup rather than a chilled soup, so this next time around, I'll use ice cubes instead and just run the Vitamix until they have litterally just melted because we both thought that the soup would be better chilled than lukewarm. Havever, with it containing avocado, it will discolour if left to chill in the judge for an hour or two first.

(Serves 4-6)

Ingredients
2 large (or 3 medium) sized avocados, flesh only, roughly 450g.
2-4 fresh green chillies, roughly chopped, with or without seeds depending on your tastes
1-2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp grated ginger
2-4 large cloves garlic, crushed
100g fresh coconut, grated
300g soya yoghurt
2 tsp veg bouillon powder (optional)
400g ice cubes (or 400ml chilled water or coconut water)
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh coriander, separate stems & roots from the leaves, chop the leaves.
Seasonings

Method (1)
1. In a liquidiser, add the avocado flesh, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, green chillies and fresh coconut, coriander stems & roots (if available) . Blend until you have a smooth paste.
2. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice along with the veg bouillon powder and blend until well mixed.
3. Finally, add the ice cubes/chilled water/coconut water, in small batches, and blitz until well mixed and melted.
4. Stir in the fresh coriander and serve over cooled rice.

Method (2)
1. Alternatively, if you have a high powered blender such as a Vitamix, add everything except for the fresh coriander and half of the ice cubes and blend until thoroughly smooth.
2. Add the remaining ice cubes in 2 halves, blending in thoroughly. You're aiming for a chilled soup, not a slushy.
3. Stir in the fresh coriander and serve over cooled rice.

Edit : credits. I've altered the quantities slightly and included an alternative method for a Vitamix, but the original recipe is from my cookery book Mango Soup by Jenni Malsingh.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lovely colour! It does look more like a sauce or dip than a soup, I'd say. I would really need to make this to understand the taste - for once, I can't quite imagine!
I think the last batch was a touch too thick. But once mixed with the rice which was the serving suggestion, it was like a thicker soup.
The coconut came through better in the 2nd batch but only because I used up all of my remaining fresh cocount from the freezer that had dried out and shed its water. I'd like to make it using fresh (unfrozen) coconut during the week, if hubby can buy it. (I'm often told something wasn't available, yet everytime I go shopping with him there are never the same problems :whistling: )
Taste wise, the avocado didn't came through much in the second batch I made as it did in the first. I think the reason being that in the 2nd batch the chillies, garlic and ginger especially were much fresher and stronger in taste and I also added probably twice the quantity of ginger (more accidentally because with the Vitamix there is no need to grate the ginger first). The lemon also came through less in the 2nd batch.

I had thought that it might taste like a smoothie, given the avocado and soya yoghurt but the veg stock and herbs & spices prevented that from happening.

Does that describe What it tastes like? I'm not sure especially given the taste difference between avocados in the UK and avocados in Australia. In the UK, they are bland and rather tasteless tbh.

Back
Top Bottom