Recipe Creamy Rosemary Chickpea Pasta Salad

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:52 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is the first recipe for the 2nd cook a recipe from your cookbook round.

I'm not at home at the moment, so that has added to some of the problems encountered with this recipe.
The first and foremost being, not knowing the kitchen and hardly being able to find anything in it. (this was a serious issue) and then there was the distinct lack of pots and pans and settings that worked on the cooker.

But it is made and whilst there are some thoughts on the matter, it is nice and it is edible, presentable and probably going to be served cold, not warm as indicated by the author of the book.

So which book? The cookbook we made the recipe from is Pure and Beautiful Vegan Cooking by Kathleen Henry. It is a wonderful cookbook to read through, featuring many seemingly simple recipes with easy alternatives, but like others had noticed in their reviews online (and something I knew about in advance), my sister lacks a lot of the 'equipment' needed to make quite a few of the recipes.

I made an educated guess with the recipes I brought over to the UK from my home in Australia. I assumed that my sister had one or two more pots and pans than she has now (this was an assumption based on what we had given her several years ago) and I also assumed that she would have a liquidiser of some form or another. That assumption was incorrect. But we did find a food processor and have made do.

Ingredients
2 tins of chickpeas, keep the liquid drained from them.
500g/1lb of pasta shells (dry weight)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed/minced
2 vegan sausages that you actually like! (slice them 3-5mm thick).
1 tbsp soy sauce (we used tamari because we prefer it)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
2tbsp nutrional yeast flakes
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped.

Method
  1. drain the chickpeas (note that if you are cooking your own, cook them well and reserve the cooking liquid instead)
  2. cook the pasta shells for roughly 10 minutes, aiming for al dente.
  3. Once the pasta is ready, drain reserving roughly 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. return the pasta to the cooking pan.
  4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes - don't burn it. Add the sausage and brown on each side. Set the whole lot aside in a bowl.
  5. Add chickpea liquid (aquafaba), and roughly half of the chickpeas to the saucepan, bring to the boil. Now transfer very carefully to the blender along with soy sauce, black pepper, rosemary and nutritional yeast and lend until smooth. Return to the saucepan, add the remaining chickpeas and using a potato masher (or fork if you need to) mash/squash them.
  6. Once the sauce is ready, add it to the pan along with the pasta and the reserved cooking liquid. Add the parsley, garlic and sausage to the pot, and mix well. Allow the pasta to stand for 3-5 minutes to absorb the extra liquid and serve warm/hot.

Yep, definitely need to work on the photo. I'll get to it at lunch and add the missing ingredient.

20190825_095648.jpg

It needs something adding that isn't beige! I'm going to face the beige food challenge with my next recipe for The Cookbook Game #2. Hazlenut Soup.

Artistic license when taking a food photo....
It's missing the ½ cup of chopped parsley that didn't get added by my husband.

I'm not at home at the moment, so that has added to some of the problems encountered with this recipe.
The first and foremost being, not knowing the kitchen and hardly being able to find anything in it. (this was a serious issue) and then there was the distinct lack of pots and pans and settings that worked on the cooker.
I'm having visions of cooking in my parent's kitchen the last time I was there. I get so accustomed to where everything is in my own kitchen that it's always a struggle even with basic things:
  • Where do you keep the measuring cups?
  • Do you have a potato peeler?
  • I'm sure you have salt somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm having visions of cooking in my parent's kitchen the last time I was there. I get so accustomed to where everything is in my own kitchen that it's always a struggle even with basic things:
  • Where do you keep the measuring cups?
  • Do you have a potato peeler?
  • I'm sure you have salt somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
We've resorted to buying a chopping board (official that there wasn't one) and 2 cheap (but reasonable quality) ceramic knives. My sister promptly cut herself on one of them.

Back
Top Bottom