SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:34 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I went looking for this recipe earlier to use party of a massive head of cauliflower I bought at the weekend and couldn't find it anywhere. So with one clue as to which cookbook it was in, I went and looked it up. We've changed the recipe because the original calls for both dairy milk and cheese, neither of which I can have. So here's the vegan version of it. It does benefit from a decent curry powder that you like.

There's 2 ways of making this soup, cooking it all through at once to serve immediately, or my preferred option of cooking it for 5 minutes. Converting with a lid and turning off the heat and leaving until it's cold by which time it had cooked through and the curry powder had chance to develop its flavour.
(Serves 6-8)

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 sticks of celery, diced
3-4 medium potatoes, diced
1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped (stalk included)
1-1½L vegetable stock
1 heaped tbsp decent curry powder
250g frozen peas
3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste.

Method
  1. In a large stock pan, heat the oil and fry the onions and celery until translucent.
  2. Add the potatoes, cauliflower and curry powder and enough stock to completely cover the veg (but only just enough) and bring to the simmer for 10-15 minutes if you're eating it immediately, or simmer for 5 minutes, covert with a lid, turn off the heat and leave until cold.
  3. Either method, once cooked you'll need to liquidise the soup to a smooth puree and return it to the heat.
  4. Add the frozen peas and the dill, plus thin with more stock if needed and bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes until peas are cooked. Season and serve.

I'm not the world's hugest fan of fresh (frozen) peas but this sounds rather good - I like the inclusion of celery & dill.

Back
Top Bottom