Recipe Dairy-Free Lemon, Coconut and Ginger Ice Cream

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:32 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this dairy recipe for lemon and ginger ice cream (http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/lemon-and-ginger-ice-cream/432/) whilst looking for a ginger recipe for the cookingbites recipe challenge.

I liked the simple list of ingredients, the lack of ice-cream maker needed and the fact that it was easy to make dairy free without affecting the taste.

So I have made a modification and adapted it to my needs as someone allergic to dairy, but not eggs.

Ingredients
  • 250 ml cashew nut cream (make it as thick as you can)
  • 200g caster sugar (use white if you want a white ice cream or golden if you are not bothered like me)
  • finely grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 200ml lemon juice, strained
  • 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, very finely grated, then chopped.
  • 4 egg whites
  • 125ml coconut yoghurt (dairy free)
Method (Cashew Nut Cream)
  1. Make up the cashew nut cream. Set the cashew nuts soaking the night before in plenty of water, before draining them and using a high powdered blender to liquidise them using as little water as possible to get a nice thick, smooth cashew nut cream. It is vital that this is as smooth as possible and ideally using as little water as possible. A food processor will not do this, you want something like a Vitamix, MagiMix or Omniblend blender. I always make up more than I need and freeze the unused for next time, so I can't really give you a quantity of cashew nuts to soak overnight but it should be around 1 cup of cashew nuts (or so... :whistling: )
Method (Ice Cream)
  1. Combine sugar, lemon zest and juice and ginger in a medium pot. Stir over heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. While the syrup is boiling, beat egg whites in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
  3. On low speed, gradually add the hot syrup, then turn mixer speed to high and beat until cool and very thick (about 10 minutes).
  4. Gently fold the cashew nut cream into the coconut yoghurt, then mix in the beaten egg whites a little at a time, folding gently until evenly incorporated.
  5. Spoon into a container, cover and freeze for at least 6 hours. Lemon and Ginger Ice Cream will keep for 3-4 weeks in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom