Recipe From Scratch: Dijon Mustard Artisanal

Francesca

Local time
12:46 PM
Growing up in a hospitality business, one learns the tricks of the trade regardless whether you employ these creative endeavors or not .. Here is a family home made Dijon from scratch ..

Recipe:

1 large shallot or if you prefer a médium sized onion ( I use shallot )
2 Cups of French Burgundy White Wine
2 cloves of finely minced garlic
1 cup of White mustard powder
1 tablesp of Bio or Organic French Provençal Evoo (extra virgin olive oil )
2 tsps of coarse mineral based salt

Procedure:

1) In a saucepan, combine the wine, the finely minced garlic & the shallot finely minced.
2) Simmer and heat to boiling for 5 minutes.
3) Let cool & discard all solids.
4) Add the mustard powder ..
5) Whisk or combine until silky smooth.
6) Now, add the Evoo and the salt ..
7) Heat on a slow low flame until thickened ..
8) Pour the mixture into sterilised jars and let cool overnight on your counters.
9) It must be refrigerated for at least 2 weeks so that the mustard concoction ages and forms a mustard ..

It is quite amazingly exceptional ..

Sinapis Alba from the Brassicaceae - Of Mediterranean Origins hails from the yellow flowers of the plant which produces pods with seeds, and the seeds are ground and though Beige as photo below, the product is called White Mustard Seeds .. One can purchase in international Markets or via Amazon if one prefers to shop on line ..

FRANCESCAwhite-mustard-seeds-250x250.jpg

Sounds wonderful! I occasionally make Mayo. I never considered home made Dijon. Added to my favorites. :thankyou:

@ElizabethB

We always make our own Mayonaise and our own Ali Oli amongst other dressings or sauces. Our culture is still quite traditional at home. Both are so simple to make .. The key difference is Ali Oli is prepared with lavender garlic, Evoo and Egg Yolk .. Mayo is just Evoo and Egg Yolk whisked until velvety to créate a Mayo ..

I use the whites to make a " White Omelette " with spinach and ricotta .. A breakfast of mine and I sauté in Evoo not butter ..

We eat out foreign cuisines but at home it is Catalan, and regional Spanish and a few Provençal dishes ( my husband is French ) and some Italian dishes .. The Pyramid, Spain, France and Italy ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom