medtran49

Forum GOD!
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:57 PM
20240610_182402.jpg

Craig thought this needed more garlic and so did I when I first started eating. However, by the time I got done, my breath could have slain a dragon, so... I gave a range due to that.

INGREDIENTS

2-3 green garlic bulbs, outer membranes removed, cloves cut into 2 or 3 pieces or smashed
One 4-5 inch piece of green garlic stem, cleaned of outer dark layers, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup pine nuts or almonds or cashews or walnuts or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup watercress, large stems removed, packed
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 ripe avocado, pit removed, peeled, and each half broken up into several pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup EVOO

1 pound pasta, I used fusilli so there would be lots of nooks and crannies for the pesto to cling.

DIRECTIONS

Place a large pot of water on high to boil. Add a good couple of pinches of salt and pasta after water boils. Cook amount of time per packaging. Check for doneness. Drain, reserving a cup or so of pasta water.

Meanwhile, in a blender or medium-size food processor, add the pine nuts, chopped green garlic stem, basil and watercress to the bowl. Pulse a few times. Add the green garlic cloves, cheese, and a pinch or 2 of salt and pepper, then pulse a few times. Add the avocado pieces, pulse a couple of times. Turn blender or food processor on low and start adding the EVOO in a slow drizzle until you get the consistency desired.

Place the pasta in a large bowl, add the pesto, and 2 or 3 Tbsp of reserved pasta water. Mix to combine, adding more pasta water 2 Tbsp at a time if needed.

Serve with additional grated Parmigiano Reggiano as desired.

Last edited:
I have never seen green garlic bulbs around here. But it sounds like I would love them. Any substitution?

I have never seen green garlic bulbs around here. But it sounds like I would love them. Any substitution?
Just regular garlic cloves, but a lot less, as the flavor is milder of the green garlic. Maybe 3 medium size cloves as a replacement for the 2-3 green garlic bulbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom