Recipe Mustard Kale, Mushrooms & Crispy Bacon with Dijon Mustard Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:49 AM
I discovered mustard kale at Ocado, the on-line supermarket I use. Never having tried it before I was intrigued. I’m not a particular fan of kale but I liked the slightly bitter flavour of this one. It did take a lot of cooking though, as the leaves are quite fibrous. You could substitute Chinese mustard greens, regular kale or spinach, for the mustard kale.

The earthy tasting mushrooms, salty bacon and a slightly sweet tasting Dijon mustard sauce complement the bitterness of the kale. Serve as a light lunch.

fullsizeoutput_4c81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4c86.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 large handfuls of mustard kale
12 medium sized chestnut mushrooms
1-2 tbsp mustard oil (or use oil of your choice)
6 rashers of streaky bacon
Brandy
150 ml double cream or whipping cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (add more, to taste)
A little lemon juice or wine vinegar
Yellow mustard seeds to scatter

Method
  1. First you need to cook the mustard kale. In my experience this takes up to 40 minutes in boiling water (unless you really like crunchy fibrous kale). Once cooked keep warm - you can leave in a covered pan with some of the hot cooking water and drain before serving. Or (as I did) briefly microwave to heat it before serving.
  2. Trim the stems of the mushrooms level with the cap. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the mushrooms, cap side down and cook gently for a few minutes. Turn the mushrooms to stem side down. Add a splash of brandy to the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, covered until tender.
  3. Whilst the mushrooms are cooking, grill (broil) the bacon until crispy and keep warm.
  4. Remove the mushrooms from the pan. Add the cream and Dijon mustard to the mushroom juices in the pan and stir to combine. Heat gently for 30 seconds stirring all the time. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens slightly. At this point, taste and add a little more mustard, if you wish. Add a squirt lemon juice before serving.
  5. Arrange the kale on a serving plate, scatter the mushrooms over and add the bacon, torn into small pieces. Drizzle the sauce over and around and scatter a few mustard seeds over the top.
fullsizeoutput_4c88.jpeg

Last edited:

I was going to say that I need to make something with this for the challenge, but then I remembered this:

Mustard Oil has Health Risks

Mustard oil is banned for edible consumption in the EU, USA and Canada, principally due to its erucic acid content. The USFDA requires all mustard oil to be labelled “For External Use Only”. In fact, mustard oil for human consumption was banned even in Delhi in 1998 due to an alarming increase in dropsy.

We don't use the word kale around here,lol. But yours looks great.

Russ
I know...kale typically has the consistency (and flavor) of these:

51V-QfeJuYL.SX322_SY400_CR,0,0,322,400_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX322_SY400_CR,0,0,322,400_SH20_.jpg

Mustard oil is banned for edible consumption in the EU, USA and Canada, principally due to its erucic acid content. The USFDA requires all mustard oil to be labelled “For External Use Only”. In fact, mustard oil for human consumption was banned even in Delhi in 1998 due to an alarming increase in dropsy.

The one I use is KTC which is made for human consumption. Its mixed with rapeseed oil (rapeseed is, itself, in the mustard family) and is perfectly safe. I don't think its on sale in the USA though.

I wouldn't personally worry about using mustard oil anyway - you would have to be using loads of it regularly to cause any ill effect.

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/blog/news/first-edible-mustard-oil

Last edited:
The one I use is KTC which is made for human consumption. Its mixed with rapeseed oil (rapeseed is, itself, in the mustard family) and is perfectly safe. I don't think its on sale in the USA though.

I wouldn't personally worry about using mustard oil anyway - you would have to be using loads of it regularly to cause any ill effect.

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/blog/news/first-edible-mustard-oil
I actually bought a bottle of mustard oil from an Indian grocery store. I rarely use it because of the warnings, though I'm sure it's safe, particularly in small quantities.

I actually bought a bottle of mustard oil from an Indian grocery store. I rarely use it because of the warnings, though I'm sure it's safe, particularly in small quantities.

I've used mustard oil many times since the early eighties (well before the KTC brand became available). I'm still here, as they say! Which doesn't really prove anything. :D

I was going to say that I need to make something with this for the challenge, but then I remembered this:

Mustard Oil has Health Risks

I know...kale typically has the consistency (and flavor) of these:

View attachment 29447

Lols, my wife grew it here a year or so ago, we couldn't give it away, and she knew I wouldn't cook it!!!

Russ

I discovered mustard kale at Ocado, the on-line supermarket I use. Never having tried it before I was intrigued. I’m not a particular fan of kale but I liked the slightly bitter flavour of this one. It did take a lot of cooking though, as the leaves are quite fibrous. You could substitute Chinese mustard greens, regular kale or spinach, for the mustard kale.

The earthy tasting mushrooms, salty bacon and a slightly sweet tasting Dijon mustard sauce complement the bitterness of the kale. Serve as a light lunch.

View attachment 29335

View attachment 29336

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 large handfuls of mustard kale
12 medium sized chestnut mushrooms
6 rashers of streaky bacon
Brandy
150 ml double cream or whipping cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (add more, to taste)
A little lemon juice or wine vinegar
Yellow mustard seeds to scatter

Method
  1. First you need to cook the mustard kale. In my experience this takes up to 40 minutes in boiling water (unless you really like crunchy fibrous kale). Once cooked keep warm - you can leave in a covered pan with some of the hot cooking water and drain before serving. Or (as I did) briefly microwave to heat it before serving.
  2. Trim the stems of the mushrooms level with the cap. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the mushrooms, cap side down and cook gently for a few minutes. Turn the mushrooms to stem side down. Add a splash of brandy to the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, covered until tender.
  3. Whilst the mushrooms are cooking, grill (broil) the bacon until crispy and keep warm.
  4. Remove the mushrooms from the pan. Add the cream and Dijon mustard to the mushroom juices in the pan and stir to combine. Heat gently for 30 seconds stirring all the time. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens slightly. At this point, taste and add a little more mustard, if you wish. Add a squirt lemon juice before serving.
  5. Arrange the kale on a serving plate, scatter the mushrooms over and add the bacon, torn into small pieces. Drizzle the sauce over and around and scatter a few mustard seeds over the top.
View attachment 29337
Thanks For sharing, I would love to try.

Back
Top Bottom