Recipe Rainbow Salade Niçoise

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:31 PM
A classic Salade Niçoise with a colourful twist. I used blue dyed hard-boiled eggs but you don't have to - they really don't taste any different but do provide a talking point!

fullsizeoutput_48b1.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2, generously)
3-4 shelled hard-boiled eggs
Red cabbage to dye the eggs (optional)
200g good quality tinned tuna, drained
8-10 small boiled new pots, halved
6-8 cooked asparagus tips (or green beans)
6-8 baby tomatoes assorted colours (halved or quartered)
Red baby Cos lettuce leaves
8 anchovy fillets
8-10 black olives pitted and halved
A handful of flat-leaved parsley (leaves only)
Lemon juice
Parsley oil (recipe here)

Method
  1. Start the day before if you are want to use blue dyed eggs.
  2. Place half a head of chopped red cabbage in a saucepan and cover with water. Do not add vinegar!
  3. Bring to the boil and cook until the cabbage is tender. You can use the cooked cabbage in another dish.
  4. Strain off the blue water into a bowl or beakers deep enough to immerse the eggs.
  5. Immerse the eggs in the blue water and leave overnight.
  6. Cut the eggs into quarters
  7. Tear the anchovy fillets in half lengthways. Arrange all the ingredients on the plates, starting with the lettuce.
  8. Sprinkle lemon juice and parsley oil over the salad.
fullsizeoutput_48bd.jpeg

Last edited:
We like the Ortiz or Tonnino brands the best. They are actually the only ones I'll eat as there is none of that smell generally associated with opening a can of tuna. We have to order them from Amazon as they aren't available locally.

Craig also likes the Genova brand, which he can sometimes find at the supermarket.

We found the Wild Planet brand at either Whole Foods or another similar chain and tried it, but Craig didn't like it much for some reason.

We found the Wild Planet brand at either Whole Foods or another similar chain and tried it, but Craig didn't like it much for some reason.

I thought it was good but then I haven't tried the brands you mention. I've discovered I can buy the Ortiz it from my usual on-line supermarket (see below) so I will get some:
https://www.ocado.com/search?entry=ortiz tuna

Which one of these would you recommend?

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 15.39.13.png

Last edited:
Oddly enough its not that bad as I cook and eat very little meat. I buy lots of vegetables and do splash out on exotic veg. I'm saving a lot of money since son and daughter moved out!

I know what you mean, after the earthquakes here I had our daughter, her partner and their 2 cats, this was before the grandson arrived. They cost us a fortune to feed. And the cats ripped every net curtain in the house. They nearly got a tap on the head, curtains cost 1k to replace. Lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom