ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
4:11 AM
Earlier this year G purchased fresh, Gulf shrimp off the boat. I removed the heads, washed well, drained and vacuum sealed in 1 lb., shell-on packs. I had one pack left in the freezer. After removing the shell and veins I had a yield of 11 oz.
Frozen shrimp is great. Make sure the package is labeled Flash Frozen. Check the country of origin. Not all countries are equal when it comes to food safety. I do not buy imported seafood that is indigenous to the U.S. The price of imported seafood may be less but the imports have a negative impact on the local economy.
Do Not use precooked shrimp.
I had a time finding the mushrooms. The were not as pretty as I would have liked. You can use 2 large Portabellas or many Baby Bella mushrooms.

SHRIMP STUFFED PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS

INGREDIENTS
1/2 Lb. peeled and deveined, fresh or flash frozen shrimp cut in 3 or 4 pieces depending on the size. I cut each shrimp in 1/3's. I used the entire 11 oz. and overstuffed the mushroom caps
4 medium or 2 giant Portabella Mushrooms
1/2 oz. dried wild mushrooms. I used shiitake.
1 cup seafood or chicken stock.
1 Tsp. Better Than Bouillon Lobster or Chicken Base or 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube, crumbled.
1/2 cup finely diced yellow/brown onions
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced bell pepper
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 Tsp. Salt
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 TBSP chopped fresh herbs, your choice - Thyme, Basil or Dill. I used Thyme. 1 Tsp. if using dried herbs.
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
2 TBSP Butter
EVOO
Chopped fresh Parsley to finish
Lemon Wedges to serve.

METHOD
  1. Place reck in the center of the oven. Heat to 425F.
  2. Rinse the dried mushrooms to remove grit. Put in a microwave safe measure. Fill to the 1 cup mark with broth. Microwave for 1 minute. Set aside to soak 15 minutes. Line a fine mesh sieve with a coffee filter and place over a bowl or measure to capture the liquid. Strain the mushrooms. Fold up the filter and squeeze the mushrooms to dry. Set aside the liquid. Put the mushrooms in a sieve and rinse under running water. Squeeze dry and chop.
  3. Remove the stems from the fresh mushrooms, set aside. Clean the caps with a damp paper towel. Gently remove the gills with a small spoon. Trim the hard end of the stems, mince. (I wanted a little more minced mushrooms so I minced 2 Baby Bella mushrooms.)
  4. In a saute pan heat butter and 1 Tsp. EVOO until butter foam begins to subside. Add the onions and celery. Cook until tender. Add bell pepper, minced stems and garlic. Cook until garlic is just fragrant. Stir in the BTB Bas or crumbled Bouillon cube. Add the reserved soaking liquid. Simmer until liquid evaporates.
  5. Peel, devein, chop and pat dry the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with Panko, egg, your choice of herbs, salt, pepper flakes and lemon juice. Remove the vegetables from the heat. Toss in the shrimp mixture.
  6. Use a parchment lined sheet pan with a rack. VERY lightly brush the caps, inside and out with a small amount of EVOO. No puddles in the cap, no drips on the outside. Divide the stuffing between the caps. Sprinkle the top with Parm R.
  7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
  8. Finish with chopped parsley. Serve with a lemon wedge.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no getting 'round it. If you've got some portabello mushroom caps, creating a stuffed recipe is the thing. I've got three, but the recipe I intend will not use shrimp and will be much simpler to put together.

:wave:

I really like the way you use the shrimp cut up but not minced here - also the use of dried mushrooms in the stuffing, which I'd not have thought of doing.

A stuffed portabella mushrooms recipe was/is on my possible challenge entry list. But so far, nobody has done the same stuffing I plan to use. I'll be back home tomorrow. I just need to see if I have the motivation/energy to cook them up.

I did consider using crab, but have you looked at the price of good lump crab meat? :eek:

CD

also the use of dried mushrooms in the stuffing, which I'd not have thought of doing.
I keep dried, wild mushrooms in the pantry. A small amount of dried wild mushrooms adds a big punch of flavor to to Portabellas, Baby Bellas, Cremini and white button mushrooms. I always reconstitute in broth or wine and reserve the liquid to use in the dish. Another punch of flavor.

I have not priced lump crab meat lately - $20+ per lb.? Probably +.

I keep dried, wild mushrooms in the pantry. A small amount of dried wild mushrooms adds a big punch of flavor to to Portabellas, Baby Bellas, Cremini and white button mushrooms. I always reconstitute in broth or wine and reserve the liquid to use in the dish. Another punch of flavor.

I have not priced lump crab meat lately - $20+ per lb.? Probably +.

I looked at a small container (nowhere close to a pound -- more like 8 ounces) of jumbo lump, and the price was $29.

CD

I'm researching dishes that I can stuff with mushrooms. Maybe I need to go this route? I'm contemplating making mushroom stuffed pasta with either a white or red sauce.

Wow, this dish also looks amazing.

Thank you.
It was delish. The key was not to precook the shrimp.
My Dad always said that you cook seafood only until it is not raw. Oysters are cooked long enough to scare them.
It makes me crazy to see cooking shows where Chefs overcook seafood.

Back
Top Bottom